Atco 14 inch

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Atco 14 inch

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 169 total)
  • Author
    charlie
    Keymaster

I have to confess I did think that might be the result, because the cam is on the flywheel. Could the flywheel have been changed at some time, do other similar engines have the can lobe in a different position?

darmic1
    Participant

I dont know, bought the mower off the bay, so history unknown? I do remember having similar fun with the points on the Mk15 of the Bantam. If anyone has a manual for this engine and the mower, I would be extremely grateful!

vhgmcbuddy

The way you’ve got is how mine is.

wristpin
    Participant

Can’t help with a manual but for what it’s worth I have never seen a Villiers 2 stroke mag with the points anywhere other than roughly the 7 o’clock position, the coil at 12 and the HT lead exiting at about 1.

dorigny
    Participant

http://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/sites/default/files/opmanual/atco1246.pdf

http://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/sites/default/files/opmanual/Atco%20172055.pdf

I have just found the above links after having a search about. The second is for the 17″ and 20″. I reckon the 20″ had the larger cc engine.

Our next door neighbour used to have one of the 14″ mowers, late 1940s with the alloy handlebars…and I reckon my love of lawnmowers started as a little lad from climbing through our fence and going next door to help him mow….walking alongside him holding one handlebar.!! not sure how much I was helping.??!! I would hear the characteristic sound of the kickstarter and off I would go 🙂

One thing I do remember about his operation of the Atco was that he always used to run the choke just slightly across rather than full open. I wonder if fully open they are prone to being bent.?? or more likely it was to hold the engine back a bit by a fraction of choke against a large throttle opening when coming off load and avoiding engine racing.?? Not quite how operation is described in the manual.

He did always run the fuel out with engine set to low revs and tap turned off at the conclusion of mowing to clear engine for next times clean start.

Dear old Mr Farmer is sadly departed…but his Atco lives on in my garage…

Clive.

vhgmcbuddy

what a nice reminder of old times clive,sounds like you struck a friendship with the guy and he left you his mower which you are now the proud owner ,and well deserved I am sure.

darmic1
    Participant

Thanks guys, great advice as usual! Added bonus of Clive’s story about his mower. Brilliant!

darmic1
    Participant

Been busy this evening. The engine is back together, timing set, points adjusted……. and it runs!!! A little squirt of 2 stroke into the inlet, a quick spin of the flywheel and away it went first time.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

Picked up the new bearings too, cleaned the bearing carriers. Took the clutch apart, cleaned and reassembled it.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

Then tackled the seized starter gear….. Managed to get it apart, to find the peg which engages the gear, but allows the kick start to return was in 2 pieces. Found a stainless steel bolt the same diameter, ground and filed the head down to match the broken piece, then cut to length. Its not the prettiest part, but it works…..

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

hi Darren. my kick starter on the ATCO Saurus is slightly worn so I will rely on rope start for initial start up but if I find someone who can re tooth it will get it done. anyone know of such a fellow.?

darmic1
    Participant

Hi John, there is a company here in Newbury, they make new gears and winding drums for Traction engines, amongst other things. Last time I popped in, he was cutting teeth on a gear ring on the biggest lathe I have ever seen. The teeth were at least 3 inches long, the wheel was about 5-6ft accross……. the price……… about £35,000!!!

vhgmcbuddy

Ouch !

darmic1
    Participant

I will add, that was a new casting, taken from a broken one, and machining costs. Still very expensive!

wristpin
    Participant

Many years ago we had a local garage owner who attended a lot of government disposal sales and traded in all sorts of machine tools etc. At the rear of his garage there was this enormous vertical lathe/broaching/milling machine that was encased in a scaffolding and tarpaulin shelter as it was too big to fit in the building. The story goes that when Chatham Naval Dockyard was closing down he bought this bit of kit for a song and the Navy then discovered that it was the only thing that could carry out some machining operation on a particular type of gun turret slewing mechanism. He then became a sub-contractor carrying out all that work for the Navy and recouped many times his initial outlay. Sounds as though your man cutting the teeth on that gear wheel has something similar!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 169 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.