Atco 14 inch

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Atco 14 inch

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 169 total)
  • Author
    darmic1
    Participant

Yes Angus, it was a vertical lathe, about 15ft tall! He told me it weighed about 50 tonnes. Angus,
    I have a question for you, Im going to need a new bottom blade for the Atco, its 355mm long by 55mm width, flat profile with 7 holes in it. The closest I can find is 359×50 and is for a Commodore….. would this be ok if I cant find the correct one? Do you know what the part number would be for my machine and who/where I might get one from???

wristpin
    Participant

Sounds like a similar bit of kit!
    Will pm you re the bottom blade.

darmic1
    Participant

Had a bit of fun Christmas eve, removing the old bottom blade from the ally frame. not one of the 7 screws would loosen, despite soaking for over a week in penetrating fluid, certainly did not want to hit them with an impact driver because the ally could break. only way to remove was to grind flat, centre punch and drill holes for the ‘easy outs’ the bottom blade is beyond salvage, as there would be little material left once the dings were removed.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Darren , any news for us on the powder coating ?

darmic1
    Participant

Hi John, sorry not yet. Both the powder coater and my local paint supplier are closed till after the new year. But, I have been doing a bit of research. The Atco Green NCS code S5040G30Y, is also known by different paint id’s the HSV chart its 78,40,50. RGB is 112,128,77 and HEX its #70804D. Unfortunately, none correspond exactly to a RAL or BS code. However, using a colour wheel/chart I’ve identified some possibilities. RAL 6002 Leaf Green, 6010 Grass Green, 6017 May Green and 6025 Fern Green. BS218 Grass Green, BS225 Light Brunswick Green and BS221 Brilliant Green are all very close. Once the paint shop is open again I plan to take the chain case in and get them to analyse the colour on their machine, hopefully it will find a match.

darmic1
    Participant

Have been back in the garage today, making up for lost time. Have made a new ‘oiling tube’ as one was damaged beyond repair after a chain failure at some point. Here’s the damaged one, flattened as a template and the newly made one. there’s also a picture of an original with the new one.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

Also cleaned and polished the ally kick start pedal.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

All the nuts, bolts and other fixings have been de-greased, de-rusted and are ready for reassembly.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

The last of todays tasks was to prep and prime the fuel tank. This was stripped down to bare metal, the dents were filled and sanded then a couple of coats of Etch primer ready for top coat once colour is identified.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

you certainly have been busy and you must have some metal working skills,of which I am envious. I can fabricate large Items and weld till the cows come home .but we are all different. I noticed that your tank was the same as the big atco one here ,so I still have not got mine dated but someone will hopefully get me within a couple of years. not sure if we have any members on here who are say in the lawnmower club but maybe one will pop up and get it dated. going back to the paint code,hope you have positive success as I failed to get a common code for us all. I am nearly sure that if you get it 100 per cent you will be able to solve where Lord Lucan is !!!!!!!!

darmic1
    Participant

Don’t know about Lord Lucan? But hopeful on the paint, maybe next weeks lotto numbers would be nice too! Didn’t get too much done here, 43 years young today. Had a couple of other chores to attend to, like my daughter’s blackboard, she’s been moaning her chalk crayons don’t draw anymore. So a quick rub down and repaint…. But couldn’t resist the Atco. A few bits that were ready for priming got a coat or two of etch…..

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

The exhaust got a bit of attention today. Rubbed down using a 180 grit paper, then a finer 240 grit before several coats of high temperature paint, the same as used on the Gem exhaust.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

Was then side tracked by another project. Not strictly horticultural, but will be in the garden next year……. We’ve had some Baskets/Planters on the fence for the last 5 years, this year whilst emptying the compost and liners they kind of fell apart, rusted away completely. I’ve kept one as a template and quite a few weeks ago bought the steel to remake them. Its been cut and just sitting in the garage for a month. Today I finally got to weld one together, the other 2 are ready to go, when I get a dry day. Here’s the 1st of 3. Once finished they will be blasted and powder coated black.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Not just a pretty face then,when you have a spare hour or two make them in different sizes and put them on the unmentional one.that little basket would be about £11 on the bay. well done

darmic1
    Participant

Have been to the paint suppliers today, taken the chain cover from the Atco with me. The paint on the inside is in really good condition. We T cut and polished a section of good paint, put it under both natural daylight and flourescent lights, We had both RAL and BS charts/chips, compared about 10 different close matches but the colour which matched perfectly under natural light is BS 220 Olive……….. There is a minute difference under flourescent light, but is barely noticeable. Hope this helps!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 169 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.