Atco 14 inch

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Atco 14 inch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 169 total)
  • Author
    darmic1
    Participant

Here are a couple of pictures of my next project….. All I know about it is the make and size of cut. No date or history…. I will be picking it up on Saturday from Mere in the morning.

Attachments:
    martin-ellison
    Participant

on end same side as kick start usually brass plate usually being painted over has cutter width and year of built

darmic1
    Participant

Thanks for that info Martin, will have a good look when I pick it up Saturday!

vhgmcbuddy

Probably dates from the 1960’s with the Ali handles and that type of exhaust. I’ve got a 17″ one fom 1957/8 that I’ve never got to run tidy as the crank no longer seals on the case, could be repaired but never felt it was work the expense of boring and bushing the crankcase. The box on yours looks very sound.

darmic1
    Participant

Thats what made me buy it…. Have no idea what state the engine is in, whether it runs or not. It just looked complete and not beaten up like some i’ve seen. If for whatever reason its going to be too expensive to repair, it will probably break it as spares for more than the £10 its cost me.

vhgmcbuddy

good to see another mower project in the making. they make a change from the norm. steve d has one of these and he could have a handbook if you go for it,ie a full blown restoration.

darmic1
    Participant

Hi John, I figured a different coloured machine was needed to tone down the mass of Orange in the garage! We will see what its like when I pick it up on Saturday. Have no idea what its like up close…….

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Darren,
    I had a 12″ Atco like this in the 60, a temperamental two stroke with kickstart. I think it was built in 1955 anyway brass plate should identify this. Box was ali and got damaged very easily, suprised this is in such good nick. Should be a good ‘un if the box is anything to go by.Good luck.

vhgmcbuddy

when I think about the life and work span of a mower which has been used in Mr Averages garden,say an hour per week for example over eight weeks per year then it should last a 100 years with good maintenance. this does NOT include what we see today on the mass market.

darmic1
    Participant

Today’s stuff seems to be made to last 3 or 4 seasons at best, unless your paying ridiculous money.

darmic1
    Participant

Well, I’ve picked up the mower. Its in pretty good condition, the engine is free and turns nicely, it even has good compression. I am unable to try to start it at present as the fuel tank, tap and carb are gummed up. There is now neat petrol hopefully un-gumming everything. I’m going to strip the engine. just to make sure the rings are completely free and de-coked. Here’s a few pictures before I started to strip it down.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

Starting the strip down, discovered the chain which drives the rollers is missing, not sure this was removed to make this machine a push mower instead of driven. Here’s a couple of pictures showing the condition of the chain and sprockets. I think this machine has been re-painted previously, as the paint under the cover is quite a few shades lighter. I’m thinking the lighter colour is original Atco Green, its a slightly yellower green, almost a dirty green, if that makes sense.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

hi. I found that as well but the aging process of paint colour change is slowed down dramatically to zero when the sun cannot reach it directly. never the less once you get a new coat of the proper colour in place you will feel a lot happier

vhgmcbuddy

Looks like you’re going to have a busy christmas in the garage. I bet it’ll be finished by Boxing Day! If its any help cheap wooden rolling pins off ebay can make good replacement rollers for the front.

martin-ellison
    Participant

what year did it say on plate martin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 169 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.