Atco 14 inch

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Atco 14 inch

Viewing 4 posts - 166 through 169 (of 169 total)
  • Author
    darmic1
    Participant

Morning Charlie, yes, think it probably was black at some point, but years of use and stuff brushing against it had removed all the black. Leaving it dull and with a greenish tinge. It had been hand painted too at some point as there was some remenants of green paint there.

vhgmcbuddy

`Hi Darren, been watching your project with great interest eing an Atco enthusiast myself.
    Think you’ve made a great job of the restoration, you spend more on them than me a Yorkshire skinflint can afford.
    Anyway I used one of this model in the 60’s and many other Atco’s but I never recall the ident tags as being anything other than shiny brass (at least when they were new)
    Of course I could be wrong as I never recall them being that particular green though I know that you researched and souced the colour thoroughly.
    I suppose after 50 years the memory plays tricks.
    Anyway I admire your dedication (and understanding wife).
    Best Wishes. Keith

darmic1
    Participant

Thanks Keith, I must admit to getting carried away with my resto’s. I must have an OCD or something because once I start a project, it turns into a full blown restoration and costs a small fortune. This particular Atco has cost somewhere around the £250 mark….. the most expensive things being paints and bearings. Still its my hobby, my enjoyment and I do like a challenge! Im never going to make a living from these projects, but they always turn heads and get folk talking.

vhgmcbuddy

Good to hear from you Darren.
    My modest stable has cost on average £25 to restore over the past two years plus £10 to £20 to buy as scrappers. Have sold two at a modest profit but won’t make a millionaire at this rate.
    I shall take some pics of the last two, both 17″ Atcos (1961 and 1965 models) and post them on the site when the weather picks up. Obviously at those prices they are nowhere as professional as your restorations but they keep me occupied out of the way of the wife.
    Keep up the good work,
    Best Wishes, Keith

Viewing 4 posts - 166 through 169 (of 169 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.