Atco 14 inch

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Atco 14 inch

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 169 total)
  • Author
    darmic1
    Participant

Have found the following plate on the machine, it seems this is a Machine Reference number. Don’t know if this denotes the year in some way. The number shown is 1449, I thought 14″ and 49cc???

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

HI Darren,
    The plate denotes it’s a 14″ built in 1949.
    I susspect this is authentic as it is very similar to my old machine built in 1954.
    Models didn’t seem to change much from year to year at that time.
    Have a good tinker,
    Keith

darmic1
    Participant

Thats brilliant, thanks for the info. It makes it older than I first thought!
    Can anyone tell me which Villiers 2 stroke engine this is? And confirm the carb to be a Villiers junior please?

andyfrost
    Participant

Darren , it’s an Atco/Villiers , only ever used on Atco products.

Andy.

darmic1
    Participant

Thanks Andy, would that be the engine is an Atco Villiers? Or both Engine and Carb?
    I’ve had a quick look on “Villiersparts” site and have seen a carb which is remarkably similar, the Villiers junior…… I’m going to need a couple of bits for the carb, namely a float and a new bowl as the float has at least 3 holes in it and is seriously dented. The bowl is badly corroded both on the inside and on the outside. I will also need an overhaul kit for it too. Here’s the damaged float and the carb stripped down.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

The entire machine is now stripped down completely. The frame and cylinder will be dropped off at the shotblasters in the week. Not sure whether to powder coat or paint the frame. The cylinder will be painted.

darmic1
    Participant

The little Villiers is also stripped down. It looks like its never been apart before, judging by the points cover…….

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

The barrel and piston are in really good condition too, with no wear or scoring to either. This would explain why it has good compression

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

Work has been suspended for a few days now, following a mishap with a drill…….
    Whilst drilling out the snapped peg which holds the shut off for the fuel in the carb, the 3mm drill bit snapped, jumped and landed on my left thumb. Felt quite sick when I realised there was a 3/4 off the drill almost right through my thumb. A trip to the local minor injury unit revealed no lasting damage and thankfully no broken bits of drill in there!

martin-ellison
    Participant

get well soon hope no lasting damage and your back restoring soon martin

andyfrost
    Participant

Darren , obviously the Carb and magneto parts are Villiers , as this engine is unique to Atco , I suspect that they had this produced by Villiers at their design/request.
    I’m almost certain I have one of those floats , and more than likely a good bowl , that you are most welcome to FOC. I’ll have a gander in the morning.

Andy.

darmic1
    Participant

Very big Thankyou Andy Frost, that is brilliant! Cheers Martin, hope it stop being quite so flippin painful! Had a kidney stone not long ago, the pain from this is right up there with that………

vhgmcbuddy

Darren, what are you going to do on Thursday ? looks as if you will have finished it by then ! big thumbs up !!!!

darmic1
    Participant

Ha,ha,ha! John, A big thumb is exactly what I have at the mo! With a hole right through it almost….. I dont like to let the grass grow, it is a mower after all!
    Seriously though, I had nothing else to do on my days off, so figured what the heck?

vhgmcbuddy

you sound a bit like me,if you get any spare time do a bit more,and for every bit done its a bit less to do. Thumbs are the worst to injure, I once flatend mine down to about 8mm thick with a hammer and chisel. it took 1 year to get any feeling back and even now 14 years later it still looks odd. so both thumbs down

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 169 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.