Atco 14 inch

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Atco 14 inch

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 169 total)
  • Author
    darmic1
    Participant

You don’t realise how big an area these grass boxes actually are? After applying filler in 3 stages, 1st application filled the dents, 2nd application replaced the curve and the 3rd application repaired the raised detail and any minor imperfections. Its not as good as new, but I’m reasonably happy with it. Here it is waiting for the 3rd application to harden and then with a wet coat of etch primer.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

Here’s a couple of pictures once the primer had hardened, rubbed down and had 2nd coat applied. I will wet sand it with some 800grit wet and dry before top coat is applied.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

Have wet sanded the grass box this morning and got a couple of coats of colour on…… Pleased, would be an understatement

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

sorry I have missed this stage as have been packing up xmas decorations etc after work for a few days. looks better than new …..great I have got something now to live up to.

darmic1
    Participant

Thanks John, its not bad, not perfect! But good enough….. have only filled the battered curved front, left the sides alone.

darmic1
    Participant

Cant help but look at the grass box each time I go in the garage and smile!
    Just need to contact ‘Titch’ and ask about some of his fantastic decals.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

Also had a little parcel waiting for me when I got home today, The new bottom blade and screws from Garfitts. Thanks for putting me onto them ‘Wristpin’

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

Oh dear…….. They appear to be multiplying………

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

Have been to collect a box of 14″ light Atco spares today. Both side plates, cylinder, bottom blade frame, almost new bottom blade, bearings and carriers, front and rear roller axles, the bars and tubes which space and mount the engine plus all the nuts, bolts, gears and chains…. All for 99p!

The other almost complete mower found its way into the back of the car somehow???? Just needs a new HT lead, a fuel tank, refit the kick start and adjust the clutch.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

Picked up the bits from the blasters and powder coaters today. Its not been powder coated green as the powder was nearly £400 a box……. It has been coated with epoxy primer and baked. It will be painted with the 2K.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

The cylinder was just blasted, as it made an odd noise when tapped with a hammer, indicating a possible failed weld. Found that there was a crack in one, so I ground the weld back and re-welded it. Its now in etch primer, ready for paint. I have 2 cylinders, so once the 2nd has been shot blasted, I will choose the better one to put in the restored mower. I’ve spoken to a friend who works as a groundsman/mechanic at a local golf course. He is going to grind both cylinders and bottom blades for me.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

Does anyone have a light Atco 14″ with original grass box? It would appear that my grass box is from a later or different machine, as the box doesnt seem to fit that well. If you do, would it be possible to photograph how the box fits, with maybe a sketch and the dimensions for the brackets. It would be very useful so I can make this box work, now I’ve got it looking nice…..

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Darren, send me an email on Sunday to remind me and ill dig out my box.

darmic1
    Participant

Hi Gareth, cheers for that…….. sorry about being unable to take the phone calls. Been a bit messy today with what happened……

darmic1
    Participant

Guys, advice needed again from you knowledgeable lot!
    Both the mowers I have were fitted with these cylinders (photo 082) Now my question is these are much lighter and thinner steel in construction and are not hardened along the edges. In the box of spares I collected there was another cylinder, allegedly from another identical machine. However this cylinder is much heavier, made of thicker steel, has an extra frame support and hardened blades (photo 083). But identical in length, diameter and machined ends. My question is would it be possible to fit the heavier, stronger cylinder? Or do I run the risk of damaging bearings etc?

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 169 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.