ATCO Groundsman 28 inch mower.

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects ATCO Groundsman 28 inch mower.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Darren. I am not a expert on engines as you might have noticed but why put this system on if the speed of the engine can be regulated by carb adjustment only as many other engines do not have it fitted ? Maybe this is the eighth wonder of the world ?

vhgmcbuddy

If you don’t succeed,try try again. whats all this about you might be asking yourself,this governor on the engine has been causing quite a stir as it was making the engine rpm run into the red. so after some debate I have followed advise and adjusted whilst engine running and have decreased the rpm virtualy to a stand still. now all seems well, but under load from the machine when cutting grass will be the tester.

wristpin
    Participant

Report back tomorrow then?!
    In the absence of an image it has belatedly occurred to me the you may well not have a carb with a cable controlled slide but just the auxiliary butterfly in the manifold and instead of the threaded rod being locked with a nut, a plain rod tensioned by the throttle cable?

vhgmcbuddy

Angus. There are some photos farther back on project.

wristpin
    Participant

Whoops, missed those, so it is a slide carb with the auxiliary butterfly controlled governor ! Found some Villiers gen on Mk25 governors which may be useful and will post it when back with the desk top puter.

vhgmcbuddy

brilliant. bit of a grey area here up north.

wristpin
    Participant

Attaching a link to a general parts illustration and a bit about governor adjustment. Was going to include carburettor adjustment but although there are two types in the manual, neither are the one in your images!

EDIT – the Link has disappeared!!! try again!

Second edit – disappeared again!!!!!

Third edit – give up!! May be try it as an imageVilliers Mk20

One last shot, just going to paste the url without using the “link” or “attachment” buttons

https://www.dropbox.com/s/suhkqdsleytpbfo/Villiers%20Mk250001.pdf

BINGO!

andyfrost
    Participant

John , of the top of my head I can only recall two machines fitted with MK25s , with this type of govenor arrangement , one being your Atco mower , and the other a Wrigley (or Bonser ??) motor truck , hence why technical info is thin on the ground.
    It seems an odd sort of system , but trust me once set correctly works very well indeed.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

wristpin thanks for the diagrams they will be valuble if I need to go in there.and andy,will try the wrigley club and see if they have anything on this arrangement. thanks again. big round of applause.

hillsider
    Participant

I think the adjustment info that you seek is on the text page following the exploded engine drawings.

vhgmcbuddy

yes Ray I spotted that as well. .its just worth knowing as when it comes to trying it out in the garden next door,as I will have difficulty manovering here, any teething troubles will probably be associated with this governor. Was lucky to get the use of an industrial steam cleaner before the Christmas break and have managed at last to get the rolling chassis squeaky clean. now it looks as if the end of the shed will have to be removed to get it in.

wristpin
    Participant

Just be aware that those cone clutches tend to be a bit sharp and either in or out and from memory the machine is quite high geared! Also you will see that there is a lubrication hole in the clutch drum covered by a small countersunk screw – do NOT put more than a couple of drops of oil down this screw hole because if you contaminate the cast iron cone and concave with oil they are a pig to “dry out”. Many years ago I had a customer leave his machine outside over winter standing on soil under a tarpaulin. The clutch seized and he soaked it in oil before calling us. We washed it all out and got it all working fine – so we thought. However as the clutch warmed up it “sweated” more oil that had been absorbed into the cone and concave material and we ended up having to dismantle it all again and heat both components up enough to drive the oil out and then wash it in solvent to clean it all up.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for the hot tip angus will not forget. Tell me what is that protruding cyclinder for at the back of the chaincase

wristpin
    Participant

Send an image of said protruding cylinder on back of chain case – can’t envisage it at present but will see if the parts list reminds me.
    Second thoughts do you mean on the left hand side top of the chain case. If so it is the dog clutch for the cutting cylinder drive to allow the machine to be motored without the cylinder running. Pull it out against spring pressure and rotate it and it should lock out. Have known them to be worn and refuse to stay out or to jump and rattle and not stay in drive under load.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nuammfxdhmyseeq/Atco%20HD28-34-Villiers0001.pdf

vhgmcbuddy

Great stuff angus thats very informative.will post a photo on here and then you can see it in the flesh. What does it do ? Its a mystery no other mower i own has this on it.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.