ATCO Groundsman 28 inch mower.

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects ATCO Groundsman 28 inch mower.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Made a positive start on the home made wood hand grips and what I have done is traced around the two halfs on each side of metal bar as a guide when grinding down. when satisfied glue the two pieces to the steel with Araldite Rapid. I have tried two different ways as shown to apply a bond.

0nce we have a bond on both handles, filling with wood filler in certain places will be followed by sanding etc including any fine alterations to metal work and making the feel by hand comfortable.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

managed to get one together and will need to let the paint dry before applying a couple of coats of clear varnish just to seal the unit from rain etc. not that it will see much rain here as it will only be subject to an odd shower at shows.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Both handles now constructed,and unless you are well versed with this model it should not look out of character.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

The collar which was missing on the disconnect mechanism has been remedied, have found a piece of stainless steel tubing which fits superbly and will still be there when the mower is a pile of rusty dust

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

There on at last, and although they are not standard fitments they blend in and are not in your face so to speak . only now got the grass collector to revamp but because of its size and the fact that the shed is the size of a matchbox,maybe I should wait for a little more work space .

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

how have you fixed those handles john?

vhgmcbuddy

Nigel I did a step by step from start to finish on these further up the thread,but I glued them. take a look its quite easy.

vhgmcbuddy

yes i have been watching the posts john i just could not see how you fixed the wood to the metal i thought they would be rivited on a bit like a machite

vhgmcbuddy

what I will do nigel is if one parts company I will put two brass small bolts with small nuts on to give it the belt and braces treatment. thanks for asking.

vhgmcbuddy

Just tried to mount the engine yesterday and come across a slight problem. The rear engine bolts nearest the rear roller do not allow you to get your fingers in to hold the nuts. Even with a ring key its awkward as they fall through the spanner.Looks very much as if the drive roller will have to be removed UNLESS some body can come up with an alternative. Phil your big 34 inch will probably be the same so I thought I would pre warn you because this is bad design by ATCO and they should be spanked for this. ARGHHHHHHHH.

vhgmcbuddy

I’ve used blu tack to hold nuts in spanners, stuck nuts on wire with Aroldite.
    Had to grovel to the wife on a few ocasions with her smaller fingers. But I recon you know most off the tricks John.

vhgmcbuddy

owen I know a few but not the right ones for this. but with your three sugestions I am a lot wiser. thanks for the tips will give it a try as soon as I can get back into the shed.

vhgmcbuddy

Can you put the bolts up fom underneath instead?

wristpin
    Participant

Tools for the job!
    Bendy thing with expanding jaws bought years ago and invaluable.
    Ring spanner modified with a bit of card and an elastic band. Holds nut in place and stops it dropping through. Could do the same with an open ended spanner.

Attachments:
    hillsider
    Participant

Maybe a daft question but how did you remove them? was the roller in place or had it been taken out.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.