Nickerson Turfmaster T84

Home Forums Groundcare Machinery Grass Cutting Machinery Nickerson Turfmaster T84

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    zorro
    Participant

Hi, new to this group, I have a Nickerson Turfmaster T84, been using it since last year but wanted to do some maintenance on it, does anyone know anything about where I can find parts like chain sprockets to drive the side cutting units please? The one fitted works but it’s looking a little worn
    Many thanks

will-haggle
    Participant

Hi Zorro, Welcome! A member called vhgmcbuddy had one and our friend wristpin knows all about them!Here’s a link….
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Nickerson+Turfmaster+T84&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

zorro
    Participant

Hi will-haggle, thanks for the link 👍🏻

davidbliss
    Participant

This is if any one is thinking of updating something with one of the Briggs & Stratton V twin Vanguard as have had over a year in getting one of those engines to run nearly as it should. I have one of the first now 23 year old V twin Vanguard Briggs that still runs as new and was made in Japan and few people know that, to start with the old engine seems to run on fumes and never seems to get hot, where as the new engine uses more petrol and gets very hot to such a extent it made a pretty good bird scarier if turned off. With my years of tune ears and observations said it was a Wrong’un. Symptoms were, engine oil got black black instantly and was drained by me and by them as smelt of petrol, loud harsh exhaust sound and got very hot almost instantly if ran flat out. Then if run at half to three quarter throttle sooted the left one plug with other burnt white if worked hard, If idled only short times would soot it left plug and on a cold start up would cause spitting until hot. So the a bit of a slog to get anywhere started, I got couldn’t find anything wrong and runs within PARAMETERS? and that to me says anything goes. Well engine been back twice, I think if had got it off the scrap heap would have sorted it myself, just before it went back second time again I did a simple test of removing a plug lead and fitted a spare plug so not to cause damage to ignition coil and ran it at half throttle this showed left cylinder played with the loss of the right cylinder and doing the same reversed the right cylinder was working hard, and just got some info from the US might have been the cause of cylinder difference but not the fuelling. Three weeks ago was sent a New engine, and isn’t a quick fix as has to be stripped of bits not required and built up with dual shaft drive and heat shield and back in the mower took 8hrs. Now I am not impressed the new engine is the complete opposite in that it runs very weak but is usable and with short runs isn’t going to cause issues. This is what was sent from the US, and what I say pluggs tells all, what do people think. photos of plugs the last ones I have never seen plugs burnt that clean or pink but there we will see.

Attachments:
    davidbliss
    Participant

Forgot to attach the bit of info on electronic ignition I was sent this.

David
    Here’s a write up on how the Briggs electronic coils work to advance the timing at higher rpms. I suspect your coil on the weak side is out of spec.

“The simple, but very effective, spark control system advances the ignition timing, causing the plug to fire earlier (in degrees of crank rotation) as RPMs go up. The faster you spin the magnet on the flywheel past the trigger and primary windings in the coil, the greater the potential voltage that is developed. Since it only takes about 1.0 volts from the trigger coil to turn the Darlington control transistor on (and off), the faster (in terms of crank rotation degrees) the potential builds to the required 1.0 volts, the earlier the induced current in the primary side of the coil will begin to build. And likewise, the earlier the trigger coil potential reaches the 1.0 volts and fires the plug.”

A standard inductive timing light might tell the story here.

wristpin
    Participant

Back in the day when the Vanguard was currently fitted to the equipment that we were selling we would experience the very occasional strange ignition issues – not starting, running on one and even not turning off on one. I remember that these issues were the subject of one or more BS service bulletins and were usually sorted by the replacement of the “diode harness” that connected the two ignition coils and prevented the them “talking / interfering” with each other. Failure of one or more diodes in the harness produced one or some of the strange symptoms listed above – frequently enough that we kept a new harness on the shelf for doing a quick diagnosis of any strange ignition issues.
    As has been mention the Vanguard V twin was made in Japan – by Daihatsu I believe – and was, on the whole, a reliable sweet running engine but I guess, an expensive one to manufacture.

davidbliss
    Participant

Going back the 23 years got good backup and sensible helps to a problem, and looks like the new engine might have had known ignition issues and the firm should I would have thought known this and sorted it, and fist engine also had carburettor issues especially at idle, new ones have fixed air bypass adjustments? where as the old were adjustable. The carburettor was changed on the first return and it did run much better at idle but was still running rich at half to three quarter throttle openings on light load however not right. and ran at full speed made a lots of hot air and with loud exhaust note. I was sent a comparison chart why as not of the early 2001 engine to compare they said new engines ran cooler to what, well the old engine doesn’t even get in a sweat and quieter in comparison also very miserly in fuel consumption. So have had this before to save the Planet we seem to make engines to use more fuel to generate heat. We did a side by side test, engines were shown to be cold, started and allowed to warm, temperature shown, both then ran flat out, that showed a huge difference in exhaust temperatures and looking at the plugs of the new one and its doing the same as must have been very hot indeed.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 13 hours ago by davidbliss.
    • This reply was modified 6 days, 13 hours ago by davidbliss. Reason: spelling
    • This reply was modified 6 days, 13 hours ago by davidbliss. Reason: corrected wrong word
    Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

Thank goodness our hobby is vintage stuff.

Andy.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.