New additions today

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines New additions today

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Thats OK Chris I can buy her a new one…. Ouch !!

vhgmcbuddy

Trial fit of Cooper Stewart drive on the ATCO this morning, dodging the rain showers !!

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

That set up looks familiar or very similar to the one my father had, the photo dates from circa 1959.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Charlie, it was the photo you put on the old forum that convinced me to bid for this ATCO, it certainly looks the part on it…

vhgmcbuddy

The Hayterette and the Qualcast have both found new homes today…

vhgmcbuddy

paul an interesting accessory,do you need a v pulley to fit onto drive shaft to give it motion ??

vhgmcbuddy

Not sure yet John, need to get the mower going and try it out first and see what is what…

charlie
    Keymaster

If I remember correctly it is a segmented drive belt.

vhgmcbuddy

That figures Charlie, then you don’t have to disturb the drive shaft to fit and remove the belt… need to get one somewhere then, a job for the new year !!

vhgmcbuddy

paul,these belts are common place in agricultural engineers another name for them is link belts. good hunting and happy new year

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks John and same to you mate, hope 2014 is good

hillsider
    Participant

http://www.asap-supplies.com/marine/link-belts-v-belts-vee-belts-polyvee-belts

The link above will let you see what link belting looks like, it is known as Nu-T-Link belt and it locks together using T shaped rivets that can be turned 90 degrees to lock or release the individual links. If I remember correctly this type of belt is directional when mounting it on the pulleys also it stretches like elastic under load, the bright orange type is much stronger in this respect though.

Re the Atco project I think you will need to fit a pulley on to the engine shaft for the drive belt to be driven from. As with rubber vee belts Nu T Link also takes its drive from the sides of the vee, in fact you will see that there is a neat row of rivet heads around the inner face of the belt that would prevent the belt gripping on a flat surface.
    Hope this helps
    Ray.

wristpin
    Participant

Ray, your post on link belts solves a mystery and brings back memories. The mystery was the tool shown on your link – I was looking at one in my tool box t’other day and wondering what it was for!
    The memories go back to 1960 when I was working for a farmer who was into the latest thing – washed and pre-packed potatoes. The spuds were stored in one building and washed through flumes in the floor and under a farm access road to the washing and packaging plant using large volumes of recirculated water. This water came from a holding and settling reservoir and was moved by a large pump down in a pit driven by an ex-government 6-cylinder diesel above, Chrysler I think, connected together by a quadruple link belt drive.
    One of my jobs was to wake the diesel up in the morning – copious quantities of “magic breath” and another was regular belt shortening sessions, aided not by the tool in the illustration but by one similar to a pair of pliers with flat right angle ends. Happy days!
    Anyway, attached is a pic of the link belt installed to drive the fan on my spare Dennis engine.

Attachments:
    hillsider
    Participant

Think this may be the tool you describe, it is used to spread the links of the older style rubber and canvas link belt. Otherwise known as Brammer belt if I remember correctly.
    Driving a simple cooling fan on your Dennis is a good example of an application for link belt, not too much load to make it stretch but often difficult to fit a new belt without disconnecting pump drive shafts etc. However we found that on a Massey Ferguson industrial loader that we used to run the load from the generator caused the belt to need constant adjustment, so we bit the bullet and fitted two of the correct belts to the machine – one in use and one tied back out of harms way as a spare.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for your words of wisdom gents, I do have a split pulley in the shed which might do the job, I will have a look when next out there…

I am familiar with this sort of belt as a larger version is used on some veteran motorcycles…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.