Last buy of the year, I think.

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Last buy of the year, I think.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Part of my Christmas shopping. Been looking for a set of feet for a Honda F 28 and this one turned up local sold as spares or repair. It’s a Honda F400 KI A2 I think the tines are the same. Needs a new exhaust and recoil ratchet broken. This model was made 1980 to 83, so vintage of the future. Be giving it a once over next year.

Attachments:
    dorigny
    Participant

Very nice. The one I use has worn out its drive shaft and tine hexagons it now only drives on the pins.. It has done some work in its time. The rest of the machine is in good order. It was ailing a few years ago and I did valves, points etc and brought it back to health.
    I do dream of finding another one, that’s hopefully done a lower “mileage”. Quite a few were sold locally. A few F300 too, I bet they are rare machines now…?

In a former employ as a YTS lad I built them up from their crated arrival state at the local dealer. I seem to recall that they came 2 on a pallet all bolted down with long M8 hex head set screws. The parts for each were all bagged and labelled to match parts with main frame.

They came with pneumatic trac grip tyred wheels…but am I right in thinking that the tines where of UK origin.??

The F400, in my avatar photo, was one that I built up, then went with the delivery driver to give him a lift with it off the Morris Ital pick up. We took an Atco B20 too, with A98 engine…. It did not reign so long.! Only the, never fitted, long grass side wheels survive.

Clive.

vhgmcbuddy

Interesting the putting together bit Clive, I remember seeing some were on the net, assembly instructions for the F 28.
    No you don’t see F300s now or the F28s, One problem with older Hondas you can’t get parts to keep them running, so a lot will be scraped. I see on a parts list the shaft you mentioned is marked obsolete, mind you the price was still on it £98 00 so that would make anyone think if it’s worth doing. I see there’s quite a few parts still evaluable for the G150 engine apart from an exhaust, but that shouldn’t be to much of a problem. Is yours the earlier 2 speed or the model F400 that’s got two speed and reverse. When I used the F28 I was surprised what power the 67cc engine had. This G 150 is 144cc / 3.5 hp must up to the gob, I hope to find out.

vhgmcbuddy

Thats a nice piece of kit, worth saving !!

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Paul, hope to get it ready for the spring.

dorigny
    Participant

Ours is 2 fwd speeds and reverse. G150.

We actually also have a second chassis with totally destroyed gearbox…a local machinery agent gave the remains to us after using the tine shafts to make us up some lawn aerating tines. I think a Land Rover or something similarly heavy had driven over it 😯 …the job to transfer would be a fairly huge one.. involving rusty tin cover casings dropping to bits and interesting seals and gears…think I had best leave alone and make best of it..

Were there some overseas parts on e–ay recently.??

Clive

vhgmcbuddy

Had a better look at the Honda F400 the other day, found a lose flywheel. It has damaged the key way particularly the flywheel see photo, the crank key was not so bad, I lap the fly wheel to the tapper with fine grinding paste. I got a new key and it fitted it in the crank OK. Placed a small amount of J-B Weld in the wide part of the flywheel key way, fitted it on and tightened it to the correct torque. Yesterday after leaving it for a few days I gave it a try, started fine ran it for 10 minutes checked drive and gears all working fine. Stopped it and flywheel was still tight but time will tell. I would be a lot happier with a replacement flywheel so in the mean time I will be looking out for one. The rotors fit the F28 tiller so I’ve started work on the G28 engine I bought the frame and the engine separate, the frame is in good order. The engine runs OK but the exhaust needs sorting, at present its piece of copper pipe with one side of the flange welded to the stud. I’ve had a F28 before that’s the one in on my avatar. Short video of F400 running with strobe light connected, no exhaust so bit noisy. Honda used 22mm drive shaft for the F28 & the F400, Does anyone know of any other models that used that 22mm drive size. http://youtu.be/04Hl8kdsFZM

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Will be a good test of JB Weld. In theory if everything remains tight and JB Weld does not break down to dust it should all stay solid.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Charlie. Gives me a bit more confidence in it, I now I’ve used it on worn threads with good results.

wristpin
    Participant

Will be a good test of JB Weld. In theory if everything remains tight and JB Weld does not break down to dust it should all stay solid.

As long as your taper is a nice snug fit you should be OK as it’s the torqued up taper that does the work. The key and keyways are there mainly to position the flywheel for correct timing.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Angus another vote of confidence, Seems a long way off to be able give it a workout. Yesterday I got the exhaust flange off, tried WD and heated the nuts up a few times but the fear of twisting them off. Drove me to the mini hacksaw.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

This is the G 28 engine strait through copper exhaust. I tried removing the stud that had been welded to but eventually had drill it and re thread it.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Made up alliterative exhaust for G28 engine, This is a versatile little engine because the pulley is centrifugal. Can be used for other applications, remembering health and safety of course.

vhgmcbuddy

Found some more aluminium rust today, under the tin plates protecting the bottom of the rotor casing on the F 400. The F 28 as you can see by the photo is fine, the F 400 has a different design plate with holes in and was jam packed with earth. I recon this contributed to the corrosion trouble so the holes will be blocked off before the plates go back.

Attachments:
    mickattwo
    Participant

Hi there, have only just read your post. The drive shafts on my 1996 F510 has drive shafts 22mm across the flats and they are available at £65 or thereabouts. Mine are very worn at the tips but have adapted some spadelug wheels and another pair of unknown steel wheels using a bored bar over the worn shafts. OK so far.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.