german sub on view damaged in kent

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion german sub on view damaged in kent

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Has anyone seen this yet ? looks as if you could get to it when the tides out.

vhgmcbuddy

seen what?

vhgmcbuddy

the ww1 german sub laid on its side in the medway when tides out.

hillsider
    Participant

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway_messenger/news/u-boat–10491/

I think this what John has seen, it was on our local news a few days ago

Now John that would pose a challenge to restore it to your normal standards.

Ray.

vhgmcbuddy

how do you fancy doing a recky to see if its worth salvaging. if the showman sees it he will be scooting along at low tide on his wheel horse for the engine . argh the engines missing looks as if he beat us ray

joegrgraham
    Participant

According to the paper today, the engine was salvaged and went to a quarry in Kent, so no joy there! 🙂

Joe.

vhgmcbuddy

many years ago I went down to Portsmouth and had a look around a sub. very interesting crampt and stunk of diesel oil. the galley was only big enough for one cook in attendance but to cook for say 100 blokes must have been worth a watch.

hillsider
    Participant

Was that HMS Alliance? We took the kids there some years ago not long after the Submarine Museum at Gosport was opened up. As you say very cramped no good at all for us six footers to go to sea with, certainly would not want to do liners and pistons on the main engines!

Re the Sub in the mud I fear you would need more than a Wheelhorse to reach where she is lying.

vhgmcbuddy

the good bit would be getting inside the liner standing on the top of piston at the bottom of its stroke and with a paint scraper in your hand start and decoke it.

wristpin
    Participant

You can walk out to it at low tide – with care!
    The wreck in question is a WW1 vessel but a good idea of just how bad the conditions were in such vessels can be gained by watching the classic WW2 film of the book Das Boot. It does go on a bit but I remember shots in the engine room showing diesels that seemed to stretch into the distance with exposed valve rockers etc.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Boot

vhgmcbuddy

yes I thought the same,but there might be some sinking sand around. That stuff is fatal if your on your lonesome.did subs have bronze props ? if they did I betya they have gone.

vhgmcbuddy

in reply to my queery about props, yes they did and the number of the boat U……. was stamped on it,so that’s how you would ID it if you where a diver for a salvage company,providing it was still fitted.

vhgmcbuddy

sounds like an idea for another wheelhorse project “amphibious wheelhorse” could be called a “seahorse”

wristpin
    Participant

sounds like an idea for another wheelhorse project “amphibious wheelhorse” could be called a “seahorse”

Think that County beat you to that name with the one that crossed the Channel, fancy the challenge ?

hillsider
    Participant

There was indeed a County Seahorse tractor that made the channel crossing in 1963. I don’t know if it landed in here Dover or just along the coast at St Margarets Bay I seem to think it may have been the latter of the two.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.