Fuel tank sealer

Home Forums General Help and information Fuel tank sealer

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I’ve got another gem fuel tank that’s just come back from blasting with a few small holes in the bottom. I’ve got a por15 kit that I was going to use, however when looking with a torch I can see someone’s been in there before with some which unfortunately has left as very thick coating at the bottom which has started to lift.
    Does anyone have any thoughts as to where I go from here, do I just pour the new sealer over the top? Do I try burning it out?

wristpin
    Participant

You must remove the bad stuff before adding more. Is it lifting enough that you can hook it out? Once you’ve got rid of the old material I’d solder up the holes from the outside before adding the new internal sealant.

vhgmcbuddy

Unfortunately I can’t get it to move, the only thing I can think of is to burn it out, but am a bit worried about damaging this type of tank as it was only available pre 1944.

joegrgraham
    Participant

There must be a chemical that counteracts the sealer, caustic soda, something like that?.
    Or would it be possible to carefully cut out the end or bottom of the tank, sand blast the sealer out and then re braze the section back in?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.