classification

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hi all, when was the date set for vintage, 1959. Will this cut off date ever change or will the eligible machinery just get older with no fresh kit added as they become 40,50 years old what ever is the appropriate age?

charlie
    Keymaster

The cut off date is used to classify ‘vintage’ for ploughing classes. Generally newer items are termed ‘classic’. This has been the subject of debate previously, with no definitive answer. If your question relates to ploughing it might be worth contact the Society of Ploughmen.

chap
    Participant

Yes it is at present in production before December 1959 but there is much debate on the subject have a look at the next cultivator i have posted my veiws on the subject and i am waiting to here of your veiws should we move that date?

All models of tractor must have been in production before 31st December 1959.
    Mounted or trailing ploughs may be used that were in production before 31st December, 1959

I believe that the date needs to be looked at. Just to put a set date not to take into account that time never stops is restricting and self defeating. A club that is set in its ways by the senior members with their own favorites does not encourage new blood and enthusiasm for the kit they remember from their own history. Our classics are youngsters vintage and “old”. They need to come in with their kit. I have no beef with the club or commities but we need look forward to new younger participants.

charlie
    Keymaster

I believe the date of 1960 is set by the Society of Ploughmen, if so there is not much the club can do regarding the national horticultural vintage class. It is only the vintage ploughing classes that this date applies to, (chap will correct me if I am wrong). All other club activities take no account of age.

OK I take note of that, but I think my comments apply to them equally or more so. Next move I suppose is to talk to them. As you will have guessed I am a ploughman. At matches the stewards always say that the ploughing is under horticulture rules, so who?? Just airing my thoughts.

stevewoollas
    Participant

This is an interesting debate which has been aired on this forum before so it may be worth reading past postings. It is possible to bring about variations to the “model in production before the 31st December 1959” rule which allows newer machines and their owners to participate. The 1959 date is the Vintage date of compliance operated by the UKs leading ploughing organisation, The Society Of Ploughmen and it would be difficult for the VHGMC or its members to compete at their National Finals outside of the 1959 dating process.
    It is at this stage worth pointing out that there is in operation a “Classic Class” which includes machines from post the 1959 date through to 1976, pre Q-Cab, therefore local level matches could operate their Horticultural/Garden class as Vintage/Classic which extends the dating system by some 16 years.
    I have also in the past suggested the introduction of a “Modern Day Classic” category which could include machines from 1976 to (with a rolling forward date) to up to 25 years old. There is a danger of all these different classes becoming messy and difficult to control so here is our local solution.
    At our local matches in Lincolnshire and surrounding area we take this a stage further with the Horticultural/Garden class operating as an Open Class which not only removes the machine age barrier completely but also allows home built tractors and ploughs to compete which increases the number of entrants, allows older ploughmen to continue ploughing longer by using more modern easier to handle ride-on tractors, and a wider viewing experience for the public. In terms of public spectator interest we are usually second only to the Horse Class. Should the match be a National Qualifier only compliant pre-1959 machines may go through to the finals but we are all aware of this and accept the ruling.
    In terms of ploughing rules we use the established and recognised VHGMC rules with the omission of the machinery compliance date.
    The users of pre-1959 machines have nothing to fear from this arrangement as the Trustys, Anzanis and other popular vintage machines tend to rein supreme having, in general, greater levels of plough adjustment which provides increased levels of accuracy particularly in opening up and finishing.
    Possibly more members could try this approach in their areas and later in the season post their thoughts.
    On a lighter note it is a good thing we are not controlled by an “Antique Class” as the accepted definition of antique is to be in excess of 100 years old which does not bring a motorised garden tractor to mind but possibly the Planet Jr push hoe……could be interesting!

charlie
    Keymaster

Steve it sounds as if the ‘Lincolnshire way’ is the way forward as it includes every possible machine. The antique rule would possibly be a problem for the horse class too, not many 100 year old horses around.

Thanks for all the responses. Yes it would appear the Lincs way is good. As some of you will know I plough with a MG40 which puts me outside the rules by 1year but it belongs to much earlier family, onlookers love to see it and believe it to be much older, maybe a reflection of me! Anyway let’s plough on.

chap
    Participant

Steve its not just Licolnshire that does that that happens all over the country at my local club banbury its quite common for us to have 10+ horti ploughmen at our matches with a anything goes type rule homemade vintage or modern as long as its single furrow good to see but when you are lacking in HP with a vintage machine and some home made or modern wins with a power advantage it makes you think.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.