Barford atom 15 gears

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Barford atom 15 gears

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    charlie
    Keymaster

DA1502F is the part number for that half of the case. Looking at the diagram it appears the pulley is a push fit on the shaft, it may be a case of supporting the pulley, applying heat gently and then pressing it off the shaft. You will not be able to remove the key with the pulley on. I will see if I can get to my Barford Atom 15 buried in the shed and if it is an early one see if I can see how the pulley is held on.

charlie
    Keymaster

I have had a look at one of the Atom 15’s I have and can see the end of the shaft and keyway. Looking at inside flange of the pulley there appears to be a grub screw in line with the keyway.
    Have you slackened/removed the grub screw?

vhgmcbuddy

Ok, latest news…

I have managed to release the pulley. I made a wooden cradle and using a drift tapped out the steel shaft. Easy with a little thought!

I can now see the offending article – BS20 1 5/8″ bush is quite worn. It looks like it should be captive in the case which would hold the input shaft in place (DA1496Q). The fact is that it is so worn that it just slides in and out.

Any suggestions – replace, roe manufacture, is there a repair?

C

charlie
    Keymaster

Glad to hear you got it all apart. Bush BS20 is an oilite bush and should be obtainable from a good bearing supplier. It will help if you can take the old bush, casing and shaft along so they can measure it, unfortunately the parts list only gives the length.

vhgmcbuddy

So it turns out that this is a non standard oilite bearing and I have to get an oversize version from the states and cut it down to length.

For the record it’s 5/8 x 15/16 x 1 5/8

The machine is putting up a fight for sure but there’s only going to be one winner!!!

charlie
    Keymaster

I am surprised it is not a standard size. Have a look at this one, you could perhaps use two with the os diameter turned down to 15/16

vhgmcbuddy

So the plan is to buy a 5/8″ x 1″ x 1″ bearing and turn it down to 15/16. The second bearing won’t need turning down so I will get a 5/8″ x 7/8″ x 5/8″.

What do you think?

C

charlie
    Keymaster

Should work as you will be turning down outer diameter and not inner which is where the shaft turns. Something in my memory says you need to be careful about turning oilite bushes on the bearing face, I think it can affect its oil retaining properties.

vhgmcbuddy

News update. I finally have the gearbox back and running.

We had to turn the oilite bearing down to fit but left a flange on so that it can’t work through the casing again. (Why they didn’t fit that as standard escapes me!)
    I had to combine two other bearings to make up the bush inside the clutch swing arm. Unless you are a real stickler for detail you’ll never notice.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll post some photos
    C

charlie
    Keymaster

Far better to have a machine up and running than sat in bits waiting for a non existent original part.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.