Barford atom 15 gears

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Barford atom 15 gears

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I’m having a spot of bother with my gearbox. I need to get the large alloy wheel off and despite removing the grub screw it won’t budge. I’m nervous about forcing it as the alloy doesn’t look too robust.

Any suggestions?

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

Start off with a kettle full of boiling water, may just expand it enough to release it and no danger of melting it! While still warm get someone to take the weight of the assembly by holding the pulley while you tap the end of the shaft using a brass or soft iron drift. Holding it in this way will prevent shock loads to the rim. If that doesn’t work, careful application of diffused heat from a blow torch – nothing too concentrated, around the centre boss and repeat the tapping – gloves for the holder!. If that doesn’t work fill the dish of the pulley with diesel and leave it for a week in the hope that it will seep down between the shaft and pulley and again repeat the tapping procedure.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks – diesel going in this morning!

charlie
    Keymaster

I have an idea it may be screwed on. Is this the pulley that moves to take up slack in drive belt acting as the clutch? If so the photo below will reveal what I mean. This shows the jockey wheel operating arm and what the large pulley fixes to. You will need to split gearbox to get to the flats on the inner face of the screwed part. Cant remember but looking at photo it could be left hand thread.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Here is an extract from the parts book, photo and pdf to download.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Charlie – that makes sense. It’s very loose and I couldn’t figure out why. I guess that there must be a locking pin / nut or such inside? We’ll see…

charlie
    Keymaster

You should be able to see how it is held together by looking at the photo and diagram I posted. (Villiers manual sent via e mail to you today)

vhgmcbuddy

Still struggling with this.

I think that the alloy pulley has fused to the steel pin. It wouldn’t be a drama but for the fact that I need to get into the gear box to find out why there is so much play (http://youtu.be/-lUgvWyEZC4).
    I have taken all the bolts out of the case but it shows no signs of coming apart. I am loathed to hit is as it is cast.

Can anyone tell me how to get this blessed thing apart? The time when I need to christen the snow plough is closing in and the present wife will never let me live it down if I’ve spent all this time and we still have to dig ourselves out by hand!!!

charlie
    Keymaster

To remove the pulley you need to split the gearbox to gain access to the nut on the inside, part DA1604T, this will enable you to unscrew the pulley (lh thread). To split gearbox remove all nuts and bolts, 8 I think, then gently tap around joint with soft hammer or use hammer and a piece of wood. This should ease the gearbox case apart.

vhgmcbuddy

Charlie, thanks.

‘Gently’ and ‘hammer’ two words that I don’t often use in the same sentence…

I’ll try on Friday and report back.

C

vhgmcbuddy

Good news…ish.

I managed to split the case (2 hours!) but the mystery thickens. The retaining nut Da1604T is missing (see photo) and there doesn’t seem to be any place for it.

I can’t release the pulley and there is no immediately apparent way to release the shaft.

Open to suggestions.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

I have had another look at parts books and have found there is a difference between the gearboxes shown in the combined 15/30 book and the earlier 15 book. It appears you have the earlier 15 gearbox, extract from book below will show what you have. Only leaves question of how does it come apart?

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Part number BSK 3/16″R is a key for the pulley. Do you know the serial number of your machine? It is probably before A2493.

vhgmcbuddy

It has DA1562F cast into the case beneath which is W?4885 – does that help?

vhgmcbuddy

I can see that BSK 3/16″R would be the thing – question is how to get the little blighter out!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.