Allen scythe removing the wheels

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Allen scythe removing the wheels

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    rowan-bradley
    Participant

Can someone please explain exactly how to remove the wheels on this machine? Or perhaps more importantly, what stops the wheel coming off in normal use? My machine has the ratchet axle. If I look at the hub, there is a hex socket headed grub screw in one side. This is surely not enough to hold the wheel on in normal use? What is its function? I have not tried removing it yet, but I will when I have found my box of allen keys. And on the other side is the gib key. I think I can see how to make a holder to attach the end of this to a slide hammer, without welding it on (as someone suggested). But somehow neither of these seems man enough to keep the wheel in place through thick and thin. Is there a taper somewhere that holds it? Or what? If I remove the grub screw and the gib key, does the wheel just slide off? Or come off with a few hammer blows to the inside of the wheel? Or do I have to do something else to release it? Does it need some kind of puller?

Thanks – Rowan

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.