Westwood T1200 – jerky transmission

Home Forums Groundcare Machinery Grass Cutting Machinery Westwood T1200 – jerky transmission

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    samp
    Participant

My 1989 Westwood T1200 drives well, but in the lower manual gears, the mower jerks forwards every few seconds. I have changed the drive belt for a genuine replacement, and have replaced the belt tensioner pulleys, but the problem remains. In top gear all is smooth, but the lower gears are needed for grass cutting. Has anyone come across this problem before, and if so, what was the cure? Thanks, Sam

trusty220
    Keymaster

Have a look at the pulley on the transaxle. You’ll probably find that the key holding it to the shaft has either sheared or rolled over, giving you an intermittent drive in the lower gears.

samp
    Participant

Thank you trusty220! You have given me hope! I’ve recedntly replaced the engine with a newer used one but this jerky transmission problem was evident before that change. Getting that pulley off without major dismantling looks like a challenge, but I’ll give it a go. Thanks again. Sam

wristpin
    Participant

I hope that Trusty220 is right but I suspect that you will end up having to split the ‘box where you may find that the gear selector keys are rounded off and that the corresponding internal dogs on the individual gears are slightly rounded off. If this is the case you may get away with just changing the selector keys ( two on early ‘boxes and four on later ones), but if any of the gears shows signs of distress, change it.
    The cause of the issue is “ impatient shifting” – not being totally stationary .

trusty220
    Keymaster

Let us know what you find. If it looks like an internal issue I may have a spare transaxle. What part of the country are you in?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.