villiers mk15 magneto problem.

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines villiers mk15 magneto problem.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    joegrgraham
    Participant

Hi all,
    I am having an issue with the magneto rebuild of my villiers mk 15.
    I have a new coil, condensor, points and HT lead, I’ve put the wires back as I found them (there’s only three so I’m sure even I couldn’t mess that up!) Condensor to points, coil to points and the wire from the coil to the brass screw in the backplate (kill switch).
    But, I have NO SPARK!, not at the plug or the points.
    Can anyone suggest something I’ve missed or neglected to do?.
    Please be aware that I consider electricity to be witchcraft, so if you could explain in words of one syllable, I’d be very grateful!.
    Thanks,
    Joe.

stuart
    Participant

Make sure any insulating pieces in the contact breaker box are in place as if they are missing the LT current will be grounded (earthed) and no spark will result.Also make sure the magnets on the flywheel are ok.

charlie
    Keymaster

Check wires for continuity, especially from coil to points. Another problem could be high resistance between the back plate, which is aluminium, and items attached to it which use the back plate as a return path.Is HT lead making good contact with the contact point on the coil?

joegrgraham
    Participant

Thanks Guys,
    Next time I go out to the shed, I’ll probably start again with some new wire.
    As some of my other villiers engines don’t have the kill switch on the backplate, am I right to assume that this isn’t essential, I’m thinking to leave it off for the time being in order to simplify things.

Joe.

charlie
    Keymaster

Kill switch is not essential but does make stopping the engine easier.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.