Trusty Re-engine?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    joegrgraham
    Participant

Hi all,

Firstly may I apologize to any purists, lest I offend sensibilities!

I am getting fed up rebuilding the woeful Flo-jet carb on my Briggs engined Trusty, so am considering options.

Option one is to find an alternative carb, maybe a Solex etc.

Option two is to swap the engine completely. I’m considering either a Lister/Petter diesel, or, if I can find one with the right crank diameter,one of these Honda knock offs.

Has anyone tried such a thing? any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Joe.

trusty220
    Keymaster

Why don’t you try a JAP 5? There are plenty on the auction site and it should fit straight on with very few modifications.
    What you have to watch is the height of the crankshaft above the chassis because the castings around the clutch were made in two different heights. The shorter one that you have (which fits the B+S ZZ) also fits the JAP 5 engined tractors, but some of the other engines such as Douglas SV54 or the JAP 6 need a taller lower clutch casting because the crankshaft is about 1″ higher from the chassis plate.

will-haggle
    Participant

There’s a precedent for a Petter diesel, see P13 of 50 years of Garden Machinery… They considered the Petter was too heavy…

joegrgraham
    Participant

Thanks chaps.
    I did consider the Jap, but if I’m being honest, I want to try something a little different!.
    Alan, do you know what model of Petter they used?.
    I know a diesel is a heavier lump, but I’m sure it could be counteracted with some ballast on the rear. It’ll be a case of a bit of R and D I think.
    I do like the diesel idea, especially as there is a precedent……

chap
    Participant

It was a petter pc1 fitted to the trusty there are a few variations around but i believe the pc1 is the right engine they are a bit scarce i know becaause its the same engine fitted to the Crawley 75 not many spares availible either. the only trusty i know with this engine fitted is in somerset i think Gerald Harris has it now i have his contact details if you pm me.

trusty220
    Keymaster

Here’s a factory picture of it! It’s obvious that they tried to take excess weight off the front end because all of the clutch castings have gone and are replaced with a manual clutch which is operated from a lever on the throttle.

Attachments:
    hitchinsm
    Participant

Ignore all the sensible advice and shove a cheap and not very cheerful Honda knock off (your words) on it. First of all take out medical insurance, as you will be running at 3000 rpm plus instead of roughly 1500 rpm so you will need to run behind the machine in a vague attempt at controlling it.Please read what people have spent their time advising you on.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.