RFS roller

Home Forums General Help and information RFS roller

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    johnw
    Participant

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone in this club knows anything about “The RFS Roller”. I can’t find any references online to “RFS” as a manufacturer of rollers, and I’m intrigued to know a little more about it.

We’ve been using it for years at our cricket club, and I know it was bought from a sports club that used it to roll tennis courts, but that’s all. It has a Villiers engine and Villiers B10/2 carb, but other than the fancy cast “RFS” logos on either side and the “The RFS Roller” casting on the handle, I can’t see any other manufacturer information on it.

I’ve attached some photos.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

That is an interesting machine, unfortunately I cannot help with information, hopefully another of our members will.

alan
    Participant

I found a description of an RFS roller from 1963, does this sound like it might be it?

“Seymours Castwell Foundry LTD., Raynesway, Spondon, Derby, produce this fully powered roller developed from the ‘Ogle’ hand roller. The cast iron double cylinder, 24-inch diameter by 24-inch wide, has well-rounded edges and front and rear scrapers are standard fittings.

Transmission from the 4-stroke Villiers engine is by Reynolds chain drive through an Albion gearbox giving a choice of three forward speeds and one reverse. Bottom forward speed is recommended for most operations and the two higher speeds for moving the roller from place to place. Top gear is useful when using the trailing seat over a large area.”

The RFS roller was advertised in three weights in 1963: light 6 cwt 3qrs at £159; medium 8cwt at £168, and heavy 9 cwt 2qrs at £177.

It appears Seymours Castwell, which was founded in 1947, made several manual pull-along cast iron rollers including the mentioned ‘Ogle’roller for gardens, golf courses etc. They were also a major casting company making items for many clients.

johnw
    Participant

Many thanks Alan. Yes, that definitely sounds like our roller.

I’d often wondered what the third gear was for! 2nd gear is a very brisk walk (or, in reality hang on and try to steer!), so there’s no way that anyone could actually keep control if it was in third if on foot.

alan
    Participant

Excellent that the text helps with your roller.

The R.F.S. on the roller is probably one of the directors who was R.F.Seymour.

I also see that Dennis mowers bought the design rights to Seymour sports ground rollers of Derby from the Castwell Foundry.

johnw
    Participant

As a short update … as we only occassionaly used the RFS roller last season due to the arrival of a larger sit on job, the club has decided that we need to the space in our storage barn for a soon to arrive tractor gang-mower, so we will be selling the RFS.

charlie
    Keymaster

John, please send details of roller and location along with contact telephone number to our editor for an advert to appear in our club magazine email editor at cultivator-editor@outlook.com

johnw
    Participant

@Charlie … many thanks for the pointer to your magazine editor. I found out yesterday that we need to sell quickly as we need space for a new tractor gang-mower that is due to arrive in the next couple of weeks. I see from the “about” section on this site that your magazine is bi-monthly and sent by post, so unfortunately won’t be suitable for us to advertise in.
    Many thanks for everyone’s help.

charlie
    Keymaster

Yes next magazine will be mid to late June so too late for you. An online auction would be your best option or maybe the Road Roller Association can help. It is certainly too good to scrap.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.