Ransomes MG6 Drayyon Diesel – Engine oil recommendations

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Ransomes MG6 Drayyon Diesel – Engine oil recommendations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

HI all, I’ve recently been fortunate to purchase a 1957 MG6 with Hydraulics and the Drayton engine. I’ve been giving it a bit of a service prior to trying it out and I wondered what fellow owners use as a suitable engine oil. I have a manual for the engine but the recommended oils are long gone and your suggestions would be very gratefully received. Also does anyone what the relife valve setting is for the hydraulic pump just out of interest. Thanks, Steve.

hillsider
    Participant

I have couple of old oil company cross reference books tucked away, If you post the recommended oils and grades and any specification numbers on here I shall then check to see if they are listed and can then be translated to a modern brand.

dave
    Participant

Hi Steve, When you get a moment can you please send me all the details
    of your MG6 for the Ransomes register. If you have a problem with
    oils try Morris Oils, they are always very helpful. Dave.

ransomes256
    Participant

Steve,
    There are suppliers of the oils available but you must ensure you use a straight oil and not a modern multi-grade as these contain detergents to keep dirt in suspension for the filter to take out. The drayton engine only has a strainer filter so will not capture this dirt and can cause damage to bearings etc.

Neil

hillsider
    Participant

Very good point about using the correct type of oil to suit the engines lubrication system. That was the reason for asking what the originaly recomended oil was along with its specification.
    It would have been all to easy to say use a 15/40 Detergent oil like most diesels can use, but from what I have seen of them the Drayton engine is not like most modern engines.
    I would agree with the recommendation to consult the folks at Morris lubricants I to have found them to be very helpful.

Ray.

crawler
    Participant

Can’t add anything to the advice you have already been given on the oil, other than I have also used Morris Oils. I think it was the gear oil I got from them.
    As for the pressure release valve in the pump, the manual states it is set to give 500 PSI.
    Any chance you could post a few photos?
    Rob

vhgmcbuddy

Steve,

I use Millers Straight 40 engine oil in my MG40

Need to give mine a good service this year also

Chris

vhgmcbuddy

Hello All, The advise in manual for this engine contradicts some of what is stated in the advise above. The manual states: ‘A fully detergent oil must be used’ It goes on to say: ‘VERY IMPORTANT NOTE, Attention is drawn to the extreme importance of using only a high grade oil in the engine if satisfactory and reasonable working life is to be assured. With this engine the lubrication is such that any build-up of sludge in the oil lines can cause serious damage. This is obviated by the use of a more heavily detergented oil than is usual. These grades are those recommended above and on no account should these recommendations be departed from.’
    The oil grades it recommends for the temp range most appropriate to the UK (between 4.4 & 32 degrees celsius) are as follows: Shell Rotella T Oil 20/20W, Castrol CR20 or Agricastrol HD20/1, Esso Estor HDX20W or TSD 618, Mobiloil Delvac Special Multigrade or Delvac Special.
    I put these grades to Morris a few months backs and asked them to recommend an equivalent. They suggested using Golden Film SAE 20. I am not sure this is the correct choice as it is described as a low detergent/dispersant lubricant. It might be worth rechecking this with them in more detail. I notice Rotella T 20/20W is still available in the US for Detroit Diesel 2 stoke engines.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

I spoke to a guy at Pennine Oils asking for an equivalent to the specified oil grades, they have supplied me with a Universal sAE 20 with a high detergent level to keep the sludge in suspension. 20L delivered to my door next morning for 24p per litre!

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks expect farmer!

Do you have a contact telephone for your supplier please. All I need is engine oil and we’re ready to plough! Rear idler bushes refurbished, all oils changed, happy days!

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks expect farmer!

Do you have a contact telephone for your supplier please. All I need is engine oil and we’re ready to plough! Rear idler bushes refurbished, all oils changed, happy days!

PS for those of you ransomes owners who have embraced social media, I have a facebook page for Ransomes MG Crawlers, please join in and post your pictures, stories etc.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Hi
    Pennine Oils can be contacted on 0114 2852987.
    Can you post a link to your Facebook page if that is the correct term.

vhgmcbuddy
    vhgmcbuddy

I ve just spoken to penine oils and they advise their “Unipower 20w” oil which has high detergency at £48 per 20l! This is a bit dearer than your price of 24p expeatfarmer!

expeatfarmer
    Participant

20 x24p used to equal £48 when I went to school but then there has been inflation I suppose !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.