Old Lawn Aerator

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Garden implements Old Lawn Aerator

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi all. I have just moved house and the pictured lawn aerator was left in the shed along with other stuff. Could anyone guess at its age? It stands about 4 feet tall and is heavy, the spiked drum being solid steel. The build reminds me of my dads old push mower 70 years ago……Rick.

charlie
    Keymaster

Rick, you need to compress the phot files to less than 5072KB. See following for help https://vhgmc.co.uk/forums/topic/compressing-photo-files-using-ms-office-picture-manager/

charlie
    Keymaster

Rick, you need to compress the phot files to less than 5072KB. See following for help https://vhgmc.co.uk/forums/topic/compressing-photo-files-using-ms-office-picture-manager/

vhgmcbuddy

Ok Charlie will have a go.

vhgmcbuddy

Hope these are ok…Rick.

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

It could be an early Patisson product. Are there any makers’ marks on it at all?

vhgmcbuddy

No marks at all.

kmacaoidh
    Participant

Very interesting piece of garden equipment, but it must be very heavy to do its work? And it would be compacted ground that you would most need to us it on. I’d be interested to know what kind of weight it is, and if you’ve used it, how well it works?

will-haggle
    Participant

Somebody like our “Thomas” or “Mr Wallingfield” may have dragged one over a municipal playing field or two during his apprenticeship!

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for the reply, Just weighed the aerator and its 30 pounds ish. I did try it out a couple of days ago in the back garden but it was pretty useless as the lawn is very soft after all the rain and the steel tines just sunk into the ground, it was like trying to pull a stubborn donkey hehe. At a guess l think it might date from around the 40’s, not sure whether it’s worth anything or will l dump it…..Rick.

charlie
    Keymaster

Rather than dump it send details to Alan to advertise it in our club magazine, next issue will be out mid April. cultivator-editor@outlook.com

trusty220
    Keymaster

These things need to be heavy to penetrate the ground so I’m not surprised that it weighs 30lbs.

I’m sure that if you advertised it in The Cultivator (our club’s magazine) somebody would love to give it a new home and a new lease of life. Once thrown away it’s gone forever.

vhgmcbuddy

Many thanks guys for all your replies….dunno how much it’s worth, so hard to try and sell without knowing….Rick.

will-haggle
    Participant

Send it in and ask for offers, lawn care items are quite sought-after, it seems pretty rare. I am the editor.

hdtrust
    Participant

Hi All

Just come in from the cold! I was with Thomas and Mr Wallingfield last night as we can now meet in groups less than 6.
    This rollers proper name is a Sorrell roller which comes from the Patent. I do not think its a Pattison as they all had large wood rollers with steel spikes screwed in. all tended to be much larger as well normally about 3 feet in width.
    For my money it dates to the late 30’s and was made by a Company long gone in name called Smiths, but is still with us today in another guize.Smiths were bought out after the war(second) by Sisis who ran out of the same factory, in the last few years Sisis was struggling, so Ian Howard came to the rescue and now they are part of the Dennis group.
    Yes Thomas can remember such barbaric machines from his apprenticeship days, the golden rule don’t work on steep gradients, dragging behind you, with open shoe laces!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.