MYSTERY FORK

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Garden implements MYSTERY FORK

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    stevewoollas
    Participant

We saw this fork recently and had not seen one like it before so temptation got the upper hand and we bought it. The handle has been shortened and presumably the original was a long straight shaft or a shaft with a D or T shaped end. The tines are perfectly flat, 9″ long and 9″ wide overall. Each tine is machined to a point. The two oval rings are cold riveted in place and the flat top of the oval lines up with the top of the tines as if to push ones foot against.
    Our questions are:
    Has anyone seen one of these before?
    Does anyone know what it is for?
    Who may have produced it?
    How old may it be?

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

One observation, it does not appear to be intended for heavy work. The metal between handle and body of fork seems rather light. Could the two loops be used as a leverage point?

dave
    Participant

My old Dad had a fork much like that one minus the two riveted rings
    but with the flat tines. He always called it his potatoe fork and
    would always use it when digging up the spuds in the garden.
    I hope that this may help. Dave.

vhgmcbuddy

the rings appear to be on wrong side for leverage, could it possibly been dragged through soil like a tiller and the tines used as

trustymasseyman
    Participant

Steve I have a feeling this may well well of been used by poachers fishing for eels

pete0250
    Participant

possible that the rings were to protect the soles of the feet. The blade looks quite thin

stevewoollas
    Participant

Thanks for the responses all.
    I don’t think it is designed as a potato fork as the tines are too close together and soil would not readily fall between them.
    The flat tops to the “O” rings definately lend themselves to have a foot pressed upon them. They are also suitable for prying or levering.
    The tines are very close together as those of an eel gleave but without barbs on the end the elvas could wiggle off and escape.
    In our view the fork is definitely manufactured for a specific purpose.
    Any more ideas??

charlie
    Keymaster

Steve, might be worth contacting Tool and Trades History Society

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.