Monroe Tiller

Home Forums General Help and information Monroe Tiller

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    john-e-w
    Participant

Hi Guys – I have recently purchased a Mk3 MonroeTiller with a Villiers Mk15 engine and I’m attempting to refurbish it. The first thing I have to do is replace all the cables – not too much of a problem until I looked at the carburetor – Unfortunately it is missing it’s needle. Now trying to find the right carburetor and matching it to a needle is getting a little difficult. The only marking on the carb is V508C – I’m not sure if this is a type number or a casting number – whatever I can find no mention of it in the spare parts listings that I have. Most of the carburetor info I have relates to the Mk10 or Mk12 engines. The only info on the Mk15 states that “on a rotavator where the it is necessary to vary the throttle openings to suit the load, a type S12 carb is fitted”. If that is the case, does anybody know what the needle number is that I require, and more importantly where I can purchase one? It appears that the control cable is soldered directly onto the top-end of the needle – presumably there must be a nipple of some sort acting as an interface between the cable and the needle as I can’t imagine a direct solder joint between cable and needle would be acceptable.

Any help would be appreciated, otherwise I am stuck before I can start!

Regards
    John E-W

andyfrost
    Participant

George at villiersparts is the man to help you out , I’m fairly certain he will have the correct needle and cable.

Andy.

wristpin
    Participant

According to my parts books the carb could be either A B10 or a Type V.
    If neither matches what you have , it will help if you can post an image of yours dismantled.

Attachments:
    john-e-w
    Participant

Sorry pics should have been supplied but battery was flat on my camera – so here they are now.
    Wristpin – I have the same booklet and I read it as the Mk10 & Mk12 have the AB10 or Type V. The Mk15 service manual indicates that an S12 carb is fitted to rotavators. However, thanks for your help and I will now try George at villiersparts to see what he advises – Thanks for contact Andy.

Regards
    John E-W

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

How strange as my info came from two MK15 manuals. Perhaps a generation thing or a specific configuration for the Monro tiller application. I’m fairly certain that I have a diagram for an S12, for a Mk25 , I think. I’ll have a look later.

Later. Best I can find is an S10/2. If you draw a blank with George, try Jon Cruse at the Hailsham Mower Centre, he makes up cables to pattern.

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

Remember the first MK15s fitted to the Howard Bantam had the V508C carb fitted(later replaced by the S12) , so the carb you have is the correct type and fitment. Fortunately it is a very common carb , so spares are readily available.

Andy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.