Howard 810 cc

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    rexy
    Participant

Good evening all first post 😊. I’ve acquired a Howard gem 810cc rotavator, it hadn’t run for about 5 years, I put some fresh fuel in it and thought it’s never going to go, half a revelation on the crank handle and it fired up to my surprise. Was running lumpy and poping, the carb was flooding out intake side. I have taken the Amal 397 carb apart and the float was Jammed in the downward position cleaned everything up and ordered new float valve and banjo filter . The new one is metal and the original was plastic.when I reassembled the jet it sat abit wonky in the inlet feed thought try the original plastic one back in there and that was the same. Thought might of been crud old tarnish making it sit funny at the dome which the point of jet tip sits in. Cleaned with a cue tip with carb cleaner shiney brass. Do I try find a new bottom float chamber or is the something I’m missing . Also after fitting the metal jet I tried to run the engine but no avail took apart again completely dry in the chamber so now tip not letting fuel through. Is there anyone in the East Sussex area that might be able to come have a look and point me in the right direction and get her going . Many thanks Rex

charlie
    Keymaster

What carb is it? A photo or two would help.

rexy
    Participant

Morning Charlie it’s a Amal 397 carb

rexy
    Participant
    rexy
    Participant

Picture attached

Attachments:
    rexy
    Participant

The video doesn’t seem to open for some reason

charlie
    Keymaster

video worked for me. A side on photo of carb will help identify what float bowl looks like.

john-e-w
    Participant

video worked for me – about 10sec duration

John E-W

rexy
    Participant

Carb side view

Attachments:
    davidbliss
    Participant

Engine sort of sounds ok apart from the spitting back that’s not quite like an ignition type fault sound causing the spitting, I have had early veteran car engines do something similar as the inlet valves are atmospherically opened and not mechanical, you have to get the valve spring strength fine tuned, to strong and you loose power and to weak they can sort of give a double skip bounce and spit at a particular throttle opening, and a sticking valve or broken valve spring can also causes same symptoms, I did have a valve insert start to drop out on a alloy head, it didn’t spit but just like a intermittent ignition fault causing shorted ignition. I have just had a thought valve timing, if the engine sparks at every top dead centre what I call a lazy spark if the inlet is opening early and exhaust is closing late they can spit back so check valve clearances are correct and are rocking at pistons dead top centre.

rexy
    Participant

Thank you for some information David I will check the valve tolerances next time I’m down the shed. I’ve found some information on the web does 0.006 sound about right for inlet and outlet clearances? Many thanks

rexy
    Participant

Just a update, I have changed ht leads around on the distributor cap and found the tank filter was blocked. Petrol Wasn’t running at a flow.cleaned out tank and fuel tap reassembled and she’s purring along now ! 😀 many thanks for the replies

rexy
    Participant

Afternoon all,could someone tell me or how to find out what date the gem was made? The serial number is
    G48494 many thanks jamie

shayman
    Participant

Hi, just acquired one of these machines and think that the chain adjuster is not complete. Does anyone have a picture of inside the chain case so I can see if anything is missing. Will post pics if required.
    Thanks Mark

charlie
    Keymaster

Mark, please start a new topic to avoid confusion.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.