Holes in petrol tank

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Holes in petrol tank

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mitzygolf
    Participant

Hi, on cleaning up this petrol tank I have found several small holes. What is the best way to fill them?

Attachments:
    chris
    Participant

I think this depends on your kit available and required end result!
    Bear in mind that when I worked with mowers etc we were NOT allowed to weld or braze or solder a petrol tank.(risk of explosion causing injury)
    However it looks like this has not seen petrol in a while so thoroughly wash out with detergent in an effort to remove any fuel residue.
    You could solder a patch over the holes, but would show as a patch, you could carefully cut sections out , form a plate to precisely fit the holes and weld in by whatever your preference is.
    You could try to weld up the holes and grid the welds to make invisible,likewise you could braze the holes but brazing seems to be a lost art..
    That metal will be thin so will need lots of patience.
    I assume a replacement tank is out of the question
    Anyone got other suggestions?

mitzygolf
    Participant

What do you think about the different putty products you can buy?

wristpin
    Participant

I’ve successfully repaired many tanks over the years using a heavy duty Rawlplug electric iron – no naked flame. Alternatively a large old style iron that can be heated with a blow torch well away from site.
    I think that your main issue may be other areas that have not broken through yet but are lurking waiting to do so. Anyway, assuming that the rest of the tank is reasonably sound and you are satisfied that you have purged it of any fuel fumes, I would solder individual patches . Bright metal around the holes, Bakers Fluid flux and stick solder. ( not cored solder) .
    That tank looks quite familiar – Ransomes? So, perhaps not too difficult to find a better one.

charlie
    Keymaster

Have it shot blasted that will reveal any other thin spots.

trusty220
    Keymaster

In the past I have used Slosh, a tank sealant that forms a hard coating on the inside of the tank. So far no problems despite leaving fuel in the tank for prolonged periods. If you have pinholes in the tank they are best taped over with masking tape beforehand, then once the two-part mixture has hardened inside the tank you can flat it off and it looks like you were never there.

So far I’ve used it with success on diesel as well as petrol tanks. I hope that helps.

kevm
    Participant

Soldering is best but you have to get it really clean first then once the holes are covered/filled coat the inside with POR15 I have used it many times on all sorts of fuel tanks and it is brilliant stuff.
    You could clean it up, fill the holes with filler of your choice then POR15 inside.

hdtrust
    Participant

Guaranteed after shot blasting you will find more holes, its time to fabricate a new tank, as cost over time filling holes it will be a lot cheaper!

mitzygolf
    Participant

Thanks for your answers. I have filled with JB weld. If i get any more problems it’s an easy job to remove it and try one of your other suggestions. Cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.