A New interest, Bulldog or early Bullfinch?

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines A New interest, Bulldog or early Bullfinch?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi if it’s any help bulldog number 6451 was built 14/3/1955 and bullfinch number 11151 was built 11/3/1957.

vhgmcbuddy

Also I’ve bullfinch’s fitted with both type of handlebars and my bulldog has the straight type rather than the loop. The biggest problem with the bullfinch was that the engine was underpowered, the demon with the BSA went some way to address this issue. For more information take a look at my website, http://www.howardgem.webs.com

stuart
    Participant

That’s a great Howard site you have there s1g.Just one small correction though if I may……the Howard 300 and 350 had a 16″ working width as standard (not 18″).This could be extended to 23″ in light soils using the optional blade extensions and a wider rotor shield.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for pointing that out Stuart. there’s a couple of things that need updating, particuarly as some new information about the gem has just come to light. I hope to revamp it when I’m next off work for a week.

stuart
    Participant

I have a load of Howard service bulletins that were issued to the dealers.If you need to know anything just let me know as they make for interesting reading.

vhgmcbuddy

That’s great thankyou, do you have anything covering machines prior to g951? And particuarly g500 and lower?

stuart
    Participant

The SB,s were first issued in January 1961 on a monthly basis.The Gems mentioned are the normal models from the series one to the series five.There are no mention of the earlier models with the V-twin JAP engine fitted (which I presume is what those serial numbers you mention are ?).

vhgmcbuddy

As far as I can assertain g101-g951 were fitted with jap 600 cc singles so long as the factory could obtain them due to war time shortages, otherwise scrap yards were raided for motorcycle engines etc until they could be replaced with japs. The handles on these machines were the cycle type handlebars as fitted to the earlier junior. Up to g500 the gearbox was shorter as the thrust bearing was inside the bell housing, and the instruction manual suggests removing the engine and clutch every six months to grease it!
    I’m led to believe that the jap twins and british junior twins were fitted to the roteho 8. Information on the early gems is a little sparce but I’m trying to build up the biggest picture possible before I update my site, along with information on the other models such as the bullfinch enquired about at the start of this topic.

vhgmcbuddy

Good Morning everyone.

I am very grateful to all who have helped me so far and I hope that Charlie and Hortiman will see my messages that I have sent to them?

Thank you S1G, your information ties in with Hortiman’s information so it does seem that I have a relatively early Bullfinch. I have had a look at your website and it truly is superb and I am grateful that someone has taken the time to collect this valuable information and make it available to others. Hopefully, among your new information you may have a user and or parts manual for the bullfinch that you could possible let me have a copy of?

Unfortunately I have been unable to ascertain what the first serial number would be for a bullfinch? As an example, when the name was changed did Howard simply add 11 to the beginning of the 4 digit serial number or did they start a new number system, it would seem that a new number system was used?
    Thank you Stuart for the clue (A25) belt and through an Australian site I have found that the correct belt would be an A24½ so that would be on the shopping list, My machine had an A21 belt fitted which explains a lot of things.
    That said, something that I hadn’t considered which was nicely spotted by sidevalve44 is the pulley. I had assumed that the one on my machine was the correct one but it isn’t so that is also on the shopping list, perhaps Hortiman could help me with that, along with the engine?

Never the less and as sidevalve44 suggests I am seeking a JAP 2A to replace the Suffolk, which as stated does indeed struggle.

It seems that one of my pictures to my earlier post did not upload and that is of the right wheel, this shows how close it is to the chassis compared to the left side (I just hope it hasn’t sized) and as I am looking at the different aspects of the machine, I am not going to take it apart until I find the obvious parts that I need, for example #14262 spacer – base plate Pivot (used from serial No.2231001). I am not sure if the Bullfinch would have such a spacer since I am reading from the 200 parts diagram but on my machine there is so much play it would possibly need one?

So, the list is growing longer and I welcome any and all information and or advice/suggestion.

Thank you once again

John

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

I do somewhere have a manual for both the engine and machine, but at the moment I have put them somewhere safe and cant locate them just at the moment.
    Most howards start at serial number 101, however this doesn’t seem to tie in with the bulldogs that ive seen.
    The bulldog was introduced in 1954, and the name changed to bullfinch at some point in 1955.
    your bullfinches wheel does look a little too close on one side. Spare gearboxes do turn up from time to time on ebay etc, as do the little jap 2A’s, it will just be a case of being paitent for them to show up, recently I just obtained a particular gearbox that ive been searching for nearly 8 years for, but as you machine is fairly common hopefully it wont take anywhere near as long.

vhgmcbuddy

A happy ending to a relatively sad story

It transpires that “my” Howard actually belongs to someone else! It seems that this Howard was on loan to an original member of my allotment association and for some reason was never returned to the owner?

The Howard appeared to have been passed from person to person until it came into my possession and having, by chance, become friendly with the owner I insisted that the owner take it back and return it into his collection.

Since we are both members of the local vintage machinery club I thought it only right that the owner take it back and I am pleased to say that he once again has possession of his Howard.
    Unfortunately this left me without any machinery but fortunately fate stepped in and I have acquired an Allen Scythe and this now leads on to my next post.

Thank you to all who helped me either way.

John

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.