A Farm Through Time

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion A Farm Through Time

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    trusty220
    Keymaster

OK, I’ll come clean! Yes, it was me on the programme with three Trusty’s.

The filming was done back in April but I was asked not to mention anything because the producers hadn’t firmed up a deal with Channel 5 and selling it to another channel was a distinct possibility, so you can see why I was sworn to secrecy. The series of three programmes puts the Nicholson brothers, Rob and Dave, into three different ages of farming history: the first was the Second World War and I was asked to provide a Trusty for them to use. Knowing that using seventy year old machinery can be difficult I thought I’d take three tractors to cover the main part of the Dig For Victory campaign which didn’t finish until the early 1950’s even though the war had been over since 1945.

The line-up was a long-chassis tractor, single speed on iron straked wheels and fitted with a Wisconsin AEH engine supplied to Britain under the lend/lease arrangement with America; this was a 1943 machine fitted with a Greyhound Plough.

Next was a 1947 single speed tractor made in 1947 on steel spud wheels and fitted with a Norton Big Four engine; to this was attached my disc harrow.

Finally, a 1952 three-speed tractor with transmission brake and pneumatic wheels; to this was attached a Cambridge Roll.

The oldest tractor performed brilliantly on the day but the Norton engine flatly refused to re-start halfway through the afternoon. I’ve since found that the ignition coil in the magneto had failed, one of the hazards of using seventy year old stuff. The three-speed tractor had to substitute for it but with the soft ground the pneumatic wheels just couldn’t grip when turning, hence the need for assistance at the ends!

If anyone hasn’t seen it you can get it on the catch-up service on My5. It was 9pm on Thursday night, Channel 5.

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

Well done Geoff , I really enjoyed the programme , it illustrated the truly monumental effort of farming in the day , unlike todays farmers who moan and groan about anything and everything.

Andy.

ted20
    Participant

well done Geoff, good programme, a star is born with new overalls

trusty220
    Keymaster

You spotted them, then! They were part payment for welding a new floor in a grain trailer. No trips to the wardrobe department for me!

A few more pictures for you to look at.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

and of course Geoff now has his own theme tune.

trusty220
    Keymaster

I love the smell of exhaust fumes in the morning!

(Apologies to the scriptwriters of Apocalypse Now!)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.