Wolf Spreader

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Garden implements Wolf Spreader

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    philip-s
    Participant

Collected this Wolf seeder/fertilizer spreader yesterday as it has an unusual convex shape hopper and claims it was made for The Design Centre London. The hopper and handles are metal and the wheels plastic and my guess is that it is 1970’s, does anyone have any more information?

Attachments:
    alan
    Participant

There appear to be a few different spreader designs – yours is one I’ve never seen – that makes three different designs. They can have other wheels (yellow or red), differently shaped handles, and plain or ribbed hoppers.

I have come across The Design Centre, London with another machine/tool, but I cannot recall what. It would be interesting to know how the spreader got a Design Centre reference.

Many machines were given awards or commended by various institutions and design establishments. For instance, The British Agricultural and Garden Machinery Association gave out awards, as did newspapers such as the Sunday Times with their ‘Best Buys’. I know another group called the Design Council had some input/comment regarding James Dyson’s Ball Barrow and the roller in the mid-1970s.

I’ve attached a brochure image of a similar Wolf spreader, I believe it is 1979. There’s also a similarly curved barrow, examples do exist of this.

Attachments:
    philip-s
    Participant

Thanks Alan, it’s nice to see a contemporary advert and the cross section diagram. Apparently chosen British manufactured items were exhibited at the Design centre in Haymarket, London where the public could go and see (and presumably order) them. The product could then carry the triangular Design centre sticker.

alan
    Participant

Thanks for the info about the Design Centre, I knew absolutely nothing about them but have now done some research!

I have found a report that in early 1968 the Wolf Distributor had just been selected by the Council of Industrial Design for the Design Centre, London and was entered into the Design Index.

philip-s
    Participant

Logo on my spreader

Attachments:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.