villiers mk12 engine

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion villiers mk12 engine

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

hello , am new to the site ,I am after some help on how to time a Villiers Mk12.1 engine, there is a arrow on the flywheel and that is all there is no key way on the crank.it is of a Ex MOD gen set, which I thort id have a play with before I start on my Howard 200 which needs a look. Any comments and help would be good
    many thanks stew

will-haggle
    Participant

Hi Stew welcome along, I’ve had a few ex-WD gen sets, one of which had a Villiers engine. It was a Mk 25, though. I’ll put up some instructions about timing Villiers engines….

Attachments:
    will-haggle
    Participant

On the Mk 12 Ignition timing is 3/16″ (4.76mm) before TDC, slacken the flywheel so that it just turns on the crankshaft, turn the engine to tdc, rotate it backwards until the piston is 3/16″ back down the bore (best to remove the head for accuracy).
    Rotate the flywheel while holding the crank still until the points are just opening (use a cigarette paper, it should just pull out)
    Still keeping the crank stationary carefully tighten the crankshaft nut. recheck the timing, if it’s OK do the crankshaft nut up very tight.
    The Villiers spanner for this has a lump on the end which you hit with a hammer.

wristpin
    Participant

In the late 60s I bought a gadget from the now defunct Rupert Ledger company that connected to the HT lead and a good earth and emitted a tone which changed at the point where the contact breaker points opened and closed. This leaves the hands free to hold/tighten the flywheel – no fag paper required. Once one gets used to the change of tone it gives a good indication of clean/dirty points. A sharp change equates to clean points and a “smeared” change, dirty. No change of town and there is definitely something amiss such as a shorted capacitor.So as well as setting timing it is a useful diagnostic tool.
    Mine is in a substantial metal case about twice the size of a cigarette packet but I’m sure that with modern electronics someone with the right ‘ology could reproduce and miniaturise it now.

vhgmcbuddy

Still got a small torch bulb and battery I rigged up years ago to determine points opening, But something like that gadget Angus just connect to the HT lot simpler.

vhgmcbuddy

With a mk 12 I simply set the engine to tdc then refit the flywheel with lining up the timing arrow on the flywheel with the line on the back plate then tighten the nut very tight. Never had a problem doing four stroke villiers with this method.

vhgmcbuddy

thank you all very much for the help, I will see how I get on and let you know. ordered a new coil for it today so will have to wait. have any off you come across a gas powered one before ? as this is fitted with a regulator instead of a tank!?

vhgmcbuddy

No tank and a different carb setup, and regualtor on top of th airhroud,somewhere I’ve got a gas carb knocking about but haven’t seen it for a number of years.

charlie
    Keymaster

BT ran most of their small pumps and generators on propane as it was safer than petrol to carry in a vehicle and propane was already on board for gas torches.

vhgmcbuddy

hello. thank you all for the help. I fitted the new coil and fitted the new gas pipe and she fired up a dream at weekend, runs nice and the genitor works to, I was wondering if any of you would know what things this would of run when in service? as it runs at 24 volt 20 Amp.

wish you all happy new year to,
    stew

vhgmcbuddy

this is a pic of it

Attachments:
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.