Villiers MK25 (Atco Groundsman 28")

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Villiers MK25 (Atco Groundsman 28")

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I have picked up an Atco Groundsman 28 for a tenner! from our favorite auction site. I was told the mower was put away working 2yrs ago and not touched since. Of course it doesn’t current run. I has a 4-stroke MK25 Villiers

This is my first vintage engine so bear with the amateur questions but I have read as much as I can before posting this.

In short I have no spark, tried a different plug and still nothing. Popped the central cover off the fly and it looked pretty dirty through the webs so I went for it and removed the fly for better access and a better look.

The connection between the HT lead and coil was pretty caked in muck and the points were pretty dirty too. So before buying new parts I’ve given everything a good clean (without removing anything) and wondering where to go from here.

Of course I need to check for a spark, can I do this without the fly on (I’m guessing not), can I pop the fly on in any old position just to check for a spark and worry about timing after a spark is confirmed. What is the best procedure to check for a spark?

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

Firstly , thoroughly clean the points , it can be done without removing them if you’re careful. Ask your good wife if you can just borrow her nail file (the emery board type) and use the fine one only , they usually have more of these than we have spanners , a few careful strokes should get them clean enough.
    Finish by passing a clean piece of card through the points.
    All being well you “should” now have a spark , always test for one direct from the end of the HT lead , you can test for a spark with the flywheel in any position.
    Try this and report back.

Andy.

charlie
    Keymaster

Points gap for Mk25 is 0.012 – 0.016″. Timing is 3/16 BTDC this is measured from top of piston and is easiest if the cylinder head is removed.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for the help chaps.

Gave the points a bit more of a clean and tested for a spark which worked. Put everything back together and got the engine fired up, had it running for about 20mins while I mowed the lawn. Very happy.

andyfrost
    Participant

Top result…………enjoy.

Andy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.