Unknown Howard? rotary hoe model.

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Unknown Howard? rotary hoe model.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    arikispencer
    Participant

Hi,
    im a new member from Australia with a largish collection of rotary hoes and garden tractors.
    about 12 months ago i bought an unknown model rotary hoe, minus the hoe off of ebay. it was a long way from home so i had a mate that lived closer pick it up for me and about a month ago i went to see him and pick it up, i was off work due to an injury so had nothing better to do.

I originally though it was a howard 400, but ive decided its not, it also has similarities to a howard 700, but it different to any pictures ive been able to find online.

on the top of the handle bar heading back from the gear box is stamped
    500 / 115
    i wonder if this means its model is 500? and serial number 115??

i really have no idea and would love any help with this

Thanks,
    ariki.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi, it looks like a Howard dragon. It had a 8 HP Kohler engine. I’m sure you will get some more info on here.

arikispencer
    Participant

Howdy

its not a howard dragon, ive looked into that possibility as well and it is vastly different to any pictures of dragons i could find, the rims on mine are like the 400, the handle bars alot like the 700, the engine belonged to neither as far as i know being a mk 40 villiers engine

thanks for your input though
    Dan.

will-haggle
    Participant

Looks like you’ve got a special or prototype there, mind you Australian ones were a bit different. Since Villiers engines were made in Australia as well as here Howard may have used a home grown engine to power the 700….
    I’ve attached some detail pictures of Ricky-Lee Mapes 700 at Weeley this year.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Handle bar mounting is different to the 700. Probably need an expert on Australian Howard models.

arikispencer
    Participant

Howdy

I know nearly all the Australian models, this one reeks of English. I’ve just checked and the villiers engine on it is English also. nothing remotely like this machine was built in Australia. Further to this none of the Aussie machines had such simply removed attachments where as this one is nearly identical to the yeoman but tipped on its side.

Do the 400, or 700 have anything stamped on the single bar just beside the knuckle that connects it to the gearbox. Although i realize the 400’s is vastly different.

At this point i will point out that my rims are the same as the ones on that 700, but mine is 4 stud not 6 like the 700.

Thanks.
    Dan

will-haggle
    Participant

A thought, Howard and Clifford merged in 1958, could it be an amalgamation of a Clifford A3 and Howard parts? Cliffords had that type of Handlebar… Cliffords had JAP engines….

Attachments:
    arikispencer
    Participant

Howdy again

i have considered that it may be a Howard Clifford, but they were English machines also and that sort of falls out of my specialty. However the way the handle is mounted is alot more like the 700 then that of the Clifford. Another difference is that this machine has a dog on one wheels on the machine and the only other Howard machines i know with this are the larger originals, the Howard 8 and Howard 12 etc.

Thanks

charlie
    Keymaster

This is proving to be a real mystery. Forum member hortiman might be able to help.

arikispencer
    Participant

Howdy

I like mystery machines, they tend to be a little bit more on the rare side, but having said that i also really like to know what i have.

I look forward to Hortimans input.

Thanks

will-haggle
    Participant

OK Dan, here’s one for you. Spotted at Malvern Tractor show in 2013 was this single wheeler. It’s based on a Bantam and we all thought it may be a Foxie but apparently it isn’t, any thoughts?

Attachments:
    arikispencer
    Participant

Howdy,

My initial thoughts lead me to saying its a Foxie, it is most definitely not a terrier, i will attach a couple of photos of a couple of my Terriers, last count has more then 10.

The foxie either had a 6in or 9in cut. Im curious as to the serial number of that unit, there is very little different between it and what ive seen of foxies, all based around the wheel, the wheel on that one being larger and the mountings more open then that of those with the smaller wheel. it has the same hoe connection, the same drive type and pulley size from appearance.

the only noticeable difference being the wheel not enclosed and wheel size, id guess its eaither an earlier or later foxie. i doubt its own machine its so similar, probably just a different drive speen also due to wheel size..

unfortuanly i dont yet own a foxie so cannot connect a photo of one 🙁

Dan

Attachments:
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.