Trusty update.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    joegrgraham
    Participant

Today my Trusty had its maiden voyage. The pic was taken just after.
    Still got some jobs to do, the throttle is a bit sticky and not as responsive as I’d like, but a major milestone has been reached.
    Thanks to everyone on here for your help and advice to get the old girl this far.

Joe

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

Are the curved parts of the bumper bolted on in that position or have you just placed them like that for the photo? The reason that I ask is that they are normally horizontal and not upturned. You also have a flat belt pulley fitted- with the Briggs and Stratton Z the belt wouldn’t go past the side of the engine and it was normally fitted with a mast and two idler pulleys to take it up and over the top (see picture).

Attachments:
    joegrgraham
    Participant

Hi Geoff,
    The bumpers aren’t bolted up tight yet and have been pushed up. It’s on the list.
    I had wondered how the belt pulley was supposed to work!

trusty220
    Keymaster

On some of the ones that I’ve come across the previous owners have taken the screws out of the toolbox so that they can access the clutches underneath. When the idler mast is fitted you can’t lift the toolbox more than two or three inches and it’s easier to remove it completely to service the chains and clutches.
    I notice that the screws are missing from your toolbox as well- do you think that it was fitted with the mast at one time? An easy way to tell is if the 1/2″ diameter rod that braces the side plates is far too long with too much thread sticking out on both sides- this is where the base of the mast is fixed.

joegrgraham
    Participant

Geoff,
    Just had a look and the threaded rod is the same length as the others, was the idler tower an optional extra?. The screws are missing due to the previous owner removing the clutch.
    Also had a look at the bumpers, bolted up tight, they still slope up, turned over, they slope down. Perhaps they been rewelded at some point. See pics.
    Joe

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

It looks like the rod on the right hand side is sticking out further than normal- it only needs to be an extra 1/4″ each side to allow for the thickness of the metal post and it’s cross brace- so it’s possible that it was fitted with one at some time.
    I’ve never seen the bumper bars in any other position than horizontal before. Is it possible that someone may have bent the support where it meets the chassis?

joegrgraham
    Participant

I see what you mean about the rod. The support doesn’t appear bent, if it is, it’s a very even bend. The welding on the bumper brackets isn’t the finest I’ve ever seen, so perhaps it’s an on farm repair, or maybe the man at the factory had been on the ale the night before! 🙂
    One of those mysteries we’ll never find the answer to.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.