Trac Grip/ J.A.P c80

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Trac Grip/ J.A.P c80

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I own a Trac Grip PB 3 wheeled pedestrian power barrow that is fitted with a J.A.P C80/f engine, which is undergoing restoration.
    I have been searching for a recoil pull start for it, for ages.
    It is unusual in that it is a three legged alloy casting with a coiled spring inside and a wire pull cable like a cycle gear wire.
    I don’t know if the pull start is peculier to the trag grip or just an unusual J.A.P type.
    The machine and engine is c.1953/1954 and is all orginal.
    I have seen other Jap 80 engines but none with this type of pull start.
    I have previously posted this on the old forum about 18 months ago.

Any ideas folks.

charlie
    Keymaster

John, could it be that the cord has been replaced with wire by a previous owner? Have you tried Meetens for a spare?

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for trying to help Charlie.
    I have known this machine from new, as it belongs to my local allotment club.
    It is as orginal and has never been modified, but noboby seems to have seen this type of pull start. I think I may have asked Meetens in the past with no luck.
    I keep hoping to find a second Japc80 that has one on.
    The engine, although 60 y.0 has never been run for long periods or had heavy use so it is generally in good nick. I estimate it has done no more than the equivalent of 200 miles in its life.

will-haggle
    Participant

Most Trac-grips I’ve seen have a BSA 420 engine, some later Villiers engines were badged as JAP…
    This is a photo of an F15 with recoil starter…

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Thanks will-haggle,sadly still not the same type.
    Mine is definatly a Jap C80/f engine.
    The end of the main shaft has a dog screwed onto the mag.housing.
    You have to push a spring loaded pin through the recoil to engage with this dog and then pull the cable.
    Due to rust and alloy corrosion the recoil casting is in two bits.
    It has a steel spring inside it like the old wind up gramaphones.
    Pictures of the recoil starter are on the old website.

The Trac grip is a model “PB” 3 wheeled pedestrian machine. I have only ever seen a couple of Trac grip machines at rallies and these have been bigger ride one models.

wristpin
    Participant

Anything like this?

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for the try wristpin, but no cigar this time.

I must say that it is good that people are taking the trouble to try and help me out.

I will have to photograph the broken one again;as I seem to have misplaced the originals.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.