Simar Rototiller plough mount

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Simar Rototiller plough mount

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    roatavator
    Participant

Yes, 6% is correct, SAE 30 or 40. Mix should be increased to 8% after engine overhaul. I use SAE 40 in mine, classic oil from the likes of Morris.
    Transmission oil should be SAE 140, don’t use EP oil which can attack bronze in gearbox. Again I use a classic type oil.

knappster
    Participant

I have made some adjustable stops on my plough mounting frame to replace the two bits of wood that held the plough in position before, may be of interest to any other Simar fans out there👍

Attachments:
    knappster
    Participant

Hi rotavator
    Thanks for the info, the SAE 30 and 40 you refer to is the a 2 stroke oil or just ordinary oil ? I am a little confused as to what it is
    Many thanks knappster

charlie
    Keymaster

SAE 30 or 40 engine oil eg Castrol XL. Morris Oils do old style engine oils eg Golden Film SAE 30. Old two stroke engines just had normal 4 stroke engine oil added to the petrol, special two stroke oils for mixing are a relatively modern idea I believe.

roatavator
    Participant

Adjustable stops look good. I’ve found in practice using my SIMAR plough in a number of competitions that I only need to have the plough fixed in the central position for the first run of the opening split. Then I have the plough floating for the rest of the plot. I found it too hard work to keep it fixed for subsequent runs, and properly adjusted the plough runs nice and straight floating.
    I’ll be interested to see how yours works for you.
    Peter

knappster
    Participant

Many thanks Charlie for that info, that has cleared that up for me very nicely I have only used normal two stroke oil up to now, should work out a little cheaper 👍

Rotavator, thank for you comments, I haven’t used the plough myself yet so it will be interesting to see if the stops are any use or not, your method sound good just to let the plough follow its own track in the furrow once you have opened, I have never ploughed with a single furrow before so it will be an interesting time, I am more used to a 7 furrow reversible so this will be good fun. I am looking forward to it and some help from you guys with my efforts.
    Great having the help of you chaps and thanks for all your comments knappster

knappster
    Participant

Started my Simar up for the first time last weekend, as you said Rotavator, loud! With my home made exhaust pipe, I have to pour fuel inti the spark plug hole to get it started any hints on this chaps ? Seems it needs that to start pulling fuel in from the carb?

charlie
    Keymaster

I assume you closed the choke before starting?

roatavator
    Participant

I find several of mine need two or three pulls even with choke. The 56 tiller also needs quite a lot of tickling. I’m sure if you experiment you’ll find the secret to yours!

knappster
    Participant

Many thanks chaps, yes I closed the choke Charlie, I will have to find her little ways out as you say rotavator thanks for your continued support gents this is the joy of being a member of the VHGMC access’s to so much know how from it’s members 👍

knappster
    Participant

Plough mount remounted on the frame, still working on the plough

Attachments:
    knappster
    Participant

Hi folks
    Can anyone give me the correct spark plug gap for my Simar type 56a Rototiller please

charlie
    Keymaster

I don’t think I have ever seen it written anywhere but set mine to 0.025″

knappster
    Participant

Latest on my Simar, plough almost finished and new wooden handles fitted, things looking as they are think I will only be ploughing my own veg patch at this rate 😳

Attachments:
    knappster
    Participant

Latest on my Simar, plough almost finished and new wooden handles fitted, things looking as they are think I will only be ploughing my own veg patch at this rate 😳

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.