Rescued Ransome MG5?

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Rescued Ransome MG5?

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    ransomes256
    Participant

The reduction box cover is the most difficult item to remove.
    First the entire box must be removed and this requires the PTO coupling to be removed in the operator seating area first. It therefore means if a PTO is installed it needs to be removed.
    The reason for this is the shaft drive for the PTO comes direct from the reduction box.
    Once the reduction box is removed you can access and release the nut on the input shaft and then you can remove the cover.
    It would be well advised to replace the input shaft seal as this often fails and is a nightmare to replace as you have to do all the above to get to it. If the journal is heavily grooved I would fit a 2 lip design.
    Neil

silverfoxfintry
    Participant

Hello Dave.

Thanks for your kind offer, but, I have a copy of the spare parts manual.
    The drawings don’t really give much information on stripping sequence.
    I will have another try tonight.

Regards

Silverfoxfintry

silverfoxfintry
    Participant

Well, after a lot of swearing, use of Fox wedges and pry bars, I have managed to remove the PTO dog clutch cover. Then all the balls fell out of the bearing!
    Mmmm. Well it needed replacing anyway.
    Just need to pull the dog from the shaft now.
    Next I have to remove the bolts securing the gearbox to the differential casing?
    Any help/advice on completely stripping the drive train will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Silverfox.

silverfoxfintry
    Participant

Things are progressing well. I have decided to replace the bevel pinion shaft, bearings and the two smaller gears in the reduction gearbox.( thanks to Neil)
    When setting up the Preload of the Timpken bearings I encountered a problem.
    Can anyone advise me of the correct setting for these bearings?
    The old bearings were quite worn and the nuts and locking tab were slack on the shaft.
    Also I am considering making up a new securing nut with a thin collar I can stab into the keyway on the shaft, rather than the Two nuts and locking washer.

Thanks.

SILVERFOX.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.