Rescued Ransome MG5?

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Rescued Ransome MG5?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    silverfoxfintry
    Participant

Hello.
    I have just acquired a Ransome MG5?
    I have been looking at this languishing in a barn behind a load of Wood for a number of years.
    Now I am retired and have the time I have taken it under my Wing.
    I can not find any serial numbers or even any name or number on the Engine.
    It looks like a Mg5, but!
    I have located a couple of Plates riveted to the back of the frame, but they are quite badly rusted and I can’t make out type or serial numbers.
    Can anyone advise me on the location of the serial number etc.
    The Engine turns over on the crank and the dif, brakes etc seem to work.
    The petrol tank has been repaired with Fiberglass at some time and is stinking of rotten Petrol.
    As it has been sitting on an earth floor the track bolts are in very poor condition and will all require replacement.
    Any help/ advice will be greatly appreciated.
    I will take and post some pictures.

Thanks.
    Silverfox

ransomes256
    Participant

Hi,
    Another machine rescued.
    Photographs will be best way to ensure identification.
    If the Id plates on the back of the machine are beyond reading it may be possible to see a shadow of the stamped number in the chassis under the plate as they were stamped in situ. Rubbing with chalk and using a digital camera then playing with the contrast on a computer may reveal info. If this fails I am sorry there is no other location for the serial number but the date may be possible to establish from an engraved code on the edge of the main gearbox crown wheels.
    If you send me an email I may be able to assist with parts. njarrett@btinternet.com
    Neil

silverfoxfintry
    Participant

I have taken some pictures.
    I only need to find out how to post them.

Attachments:
    silverfoxfintry
    Participant

I know the location of another 2 or 3 Ransome MG tractors.
    I don’t think they are for sale, but if there is an interest I will try and find out.

SILVERFOX

dave
    Participant

Hi Silverfox, I do have a RansomesMG5 handbook. If you want a
    copy of it please contact me 01376 340072 or djclark89@btinternet.com
    Engine nos may be a bit of a help in dating if they have not been
    changed. Give me a call.
    Dave.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

some paint stripper on those id plates should reveal the numbers. If not try the photo method.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

some paint stripper on those id plates should reveal the numbers. If not try the photo method. You are right about it being an MG5 and from the photos it looks to be in good condition. You mention knowing of other machines, if they are safely stored in the dry, bide your time and keep watch for the day when the bug bites you! If they are at risk of rotting away then try hard to persuade the owner to offer them to a caring new owner who will preserve them.

silverfoxfintry
    Participant

I have had a look into the gearbox and at first glance it is in good condition.
    It has oil and the gears seem to be in good condition.
    Tomorrow I plan to lift out the Engine.
    Can anyone advise me of the weight? As I am lifting it out by hand.
    Once it is out I plan to inspect it and replace parts as required.
    I will take some better pictures and post as work progresses.

Thanks again

Silverfox

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Engine weight is about 200kg , a one man lift is feasible but the flywheel end is very heavy, best plan is to set up a bench or block next to the tractor and slide the engine from its base on to the block without lifting, failing that use a hoist it is not worth hurting your back which is a high risk given the position you start from.

silverfoxfintry
    Participant

I am glad I asked.
    No way am I going to lift that by hand.
    I will rig up shear legs and a hoist.
    Lift it up onto a Platform and slide it into the back of my Jimny.
    It needs to go for cleaning before I start investigating further.
    I have a pall with a steam engine cleaning machine. It is like magic.

Thanks for all the help.

SILVERFOX.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

I have a steam washer but use is limited to when my wife is out, it’s called a dishwasher does a great job though.

silverfoxfintry
    Participant

I now have the engine unbolted and ready to lift out.
    Found a couple of surprises.
    A broken engin mount. This has been repaired using Angle iron bolted to the crank case.
    Luckily I have a pal who is very good at welding aluminium.
    Also how do you split the centrifugal clutch?
    It is not seized and is free to turn. I have split the drive after the rubber coupling.
    I presume there is a supporting bearing inside the clutch?
    Any help appreciated.

SILVERFOX.

silverfoxfintry
    Participant

Oh, by the way. I have just found another MG. Working in a nursery in Helensburgh.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

The clutch is split using a puller bolted into the two threaded holes in the outer cover. you may be able to use long threaded bolts screwed into these holes to press against the flywheel tighten evenly to get a straight push.Undo the big nut on the shaft end first.Broken engine mounts are quite common handy to have a pal welding aluminium.

ransomes256
    Participant

As answered by expeatfarmer you will need to use the tapped holes in the clutch drum but with regard to the broken engine mounting I would suggest after repair and installation I would leave one mounting bolt just nipped and not tightened as this may prevent a re-occurrence of the failure.
    Neil

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.