Ransomes motor triple mk 4 brakes seized

Home Forums Groundcare Machinery Grass Cutting Machinery Ransomes motor triple mk 4 brakes seized

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    disco2
    Participant

Hi that’s brilliant thank you so much that makes sense now. It’s stupidly simple inside and now I know how much I can whack it.
    Thanks again for your help and advice
    Best wishes William

trusty220
    Keymaster

The inner slide should have a limited amount of movement in both directions so you can knock it backwards and forwards to get some of the rust out (and oil in). It does have a keyway to prevent the inner slide rotating inside the outer slide; this keyway doesn’t extend all the way through from one side to the other so if it stops moving suddenly try tapping it back the other way.

disco2
    Participant

Hi all just a quick update on the progress so far. I finally managed to get the calipers apart with a combination of heat a hammer and half a can of old model aircraft fuel. The fuel is a bit random but I found it in the shed it was a dark colour so no good for engines I cut the top off the 5ltr can and submerged the parts after they had been heated and left to go cold obviously. Don’t know if it made any real difference but after a few days of soaking the calipers came apart family easily. I will need new brake pads and will give the discs a skim on my lathe. It does make me smile when I look at how substantial the brakes are on these machine’s it looks like tank technology.
    Best wishes William

wristpin
    Participant

From what I remember of Model aircraft fuel it would certainly have good penetrating / searching properties, even when past being suitable for its intended purpose. As far as proprietary dismantling potions go, Plus Gas has been my go to product for many years but some people favour a mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone. For assemblies that need a good soak, I have a 25 litre topless drum of red diesel; ideal for seized Ransomes Marquis rear rollers which have never failed to yield after a week long soak – as yet !

trusty220
    Keymaster

My two older brothers used to mix up their own fuel for their model aircraft and boats; they used a mixture of ether and castor oil (presumably after reading too many Biggles books!). The house used to smell of ether for days and mom got a very strange look when buying the castor oil in the quantities that my brothers needed.

Of course any lubricating oil would have served the purpose, but then Biggles would only use castor oil in his Sopwith Camel so that it didn’t emulsify at altitude. I don’t know how high my brothers thought they’d get! Happy days, now long gone.

I think I’ll ‘phone my brother and ask him, though!

wristpin
    Participant

Two possible suppliers for used plates come to mind. Martyn Channer, so has a presence on eBay and Upsons, near Maldonado, Essex.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.