Ransomes MG5 – My latest project!

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Ransomes MG5 – My latest project!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi all,

I must confess I am new to Ransomes Crawlers and have recently purchased an MG5. Something thta I’ve been keeping an eye out for 7 or 8 years now. It was only recently that one came up locally and at the right price. 🙂

I have many questions regarding this beast, mostly around trying to see if I can get it running. I plan to purchase the parts manual online as I am certain it needs a new spark plug.

A friend and I tried to get it to start after collecting it from the previous owner and we only mananged a few coughs and a small backfire. I’ve put fresh fuel in the tank, and confirmed we do have a spark, but it does appear to have non funcitioning fuel pump. So instead we filled the float chamber up with petrol to see if we could run it like so – no luck.

So, back to basics it is. New spark plug and a check of the points gap and then further investigation of the carb and fuel pump.

A few questions if I may.

1) Where is the best place to get spares? I know I need a new pipe from the pump to the carb (the current one seems to have an inline non return valve – is this correct?)
    2) Does my manifold setup look correct to you? There was mention of TVO. Presume it is OK for petrol only?
    3) I am trying to date this machine. The serial number on the back reads: 7262. Can it be dated from this?

I’ll try and add some pictures..

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

A few more pictures of collection.. and a picture showing the front cover off.

Attachments:
    ransomes256
    Participant

Congratulations on your purchase.
    I am recognised as the supplier of parts for the Ransomes crawlers and would initially make the following observations.
    The carburettor is not original for an MG5 but from a later MG6. Some consider this a better carburettor Amal 356/1.
    The engine appears original MG5 as the fuel pump has the low mount but the oil filler cap is a different design to the gearbox and petrol tank filler caps which suggests there has been a change at some point.
    Best to identify the engine by thread type. MG5 would be BSF and MG6 would be UNF.
    The engine is also fitted with a vapourising box which indicates it was designed to run on TVO but there is no sign of the second tank or change over pipework. The manifold may have been added when the carburettor was changed but the compression should be lower for TVO so head needs checking.
    Drop me an email and I will forward a list of available parts.
    Neil njarrett@btinternet.com

expeatfarmer
    Participant

7253 dates from 1952 . Neil is the man for spares. Looks as if the engine has been changed or at least the carb and manifolds these are from a later model. Not a problem though most machines have had parts changed over the years to keep them going. Good luck!

vhgmcbuddy

Hello,

Welcome to Ransomes MG world. Thats a nice looking example of an MG5 made in 1952.

Your model indeed has a TVO manifold fitted with an AMAL 356 carburettor which is unusual on an MG5 so perhaps not the original engine for the reasons Neil stated.
    Regarding you getting it started I would remove the carb bowl and then the jets and blow them out. Also remove the bung in the middle of the carb on the top, then removed the emulsion tube, clean and check for spliting. If you don’t have compresssed air use a WD40 aerosol with the straw attached and spray em out. Obtain a new spark plug. Strip and clean fuel pump – the non return valve is correct. You should also check valve clearances and perhap valve condition as you get deeper into it. Check outlet from fuel tank is not blocked with rust & debris.

I would change the oil now before any starting attempt to avoid pumping the contaminated old oil around the galleries and bearings. Drain the oil overnight, replenish with new oil for example Morris Goldenfilm SAE 50 is what I use. When you get it started and run for an hour or so change it again.

Best of luck with it. You’ll get lots of help and guidance on here.

vhgmcbuddy

Wow!

Hi all, thank you for the very helpful information.

I’ll order some fresh oil up right away. 🙂

A few more questions then!

A) Where might I purchase a new spark plug. And what type do I need? As I understand it is a short reach type?

B) Is it possible to get a overhaul kit for the Amal 356/1? I live near Burlen Fuel systems in Salisbury. Perhaps they can help?

C) You refeer to a vapourising box. I presume you mean the square-ness of the manifold?

D) Am I right in thinking that with this TVO manifold fitted I will be unable to run on pure petrol? – Might explain part of the problem…

In the meantime I shall investigate the carb jets as you describe above. 🙂

Neil, Good stuff. Email on it’s way to you!

Cheers

James

vhgmcbuddy

One other question.

I run an old Series 2A Land Rover.

You mention Morris Goldenfilm SAE 50.

Can I run the Ransomes on 20W-50? As I have loads of this for the Land Rover engine..

The manual says: Heavy SAE 50…

Thoughts?

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Hi James
    An overhaul kit for an Amal 356 is basicly two jets and possibly a fuel control needle and float all of which are available from Neil Jarret. Being a fairly low efficiency side valve engine my experience is that with the TVO manifold they actually run better on straight petrol. I have one that I use any old petrol drained from machines that have stood a while.
    If you want to put the engine back to original I have an MG5 carb and manifold to suit that I would swap for the 356.

dave
    Participant

Hi James. Thanks for the Ransomes MG5 no. I will add it to my list, can you please
    forward the engine No as this will help to confirm the date of manufacture.
    Regards Dave Clark.

charlie
    Keymaster

Greensparkplug Company are good for old type spark plugs. What is currently fitted?

vhgmcbuddy

Hi all,

OK. Bit of a learning curve this! 🙂

So, as I understand I need a Champion 8 Spark Plug.

I think this is the one? Do you agree?

Then I have the problem that I need a socket to fit it… Does anyone know the A/F or type/size of socket I would need? There was also mention of an adaptor so that I could fit a normal spark plug. Is this recommended?

Dave, thanks for adding mine to the list. I presume it isn’t already on there, and therefore not known to the club? The engine number which I found on the right hand side of the casting appears to read: MGE 1382. I presume that is the right number? If not can you tell me where it is located?

The Greensparkplug company website looks interesting. Thank you.

As I said before I hope to change the oil and spark plug then tackle the fuel system.

May I just ask what the general opinion of this MG5 is? And out of interest what one would put it’s value at? Don’t worry I’m not selling it. I’m just curious as to wether I’d paid over the odds for it!

Thanks in advance 🙂

James

vhgmcbuddy

Hi

Spark plug can be obtained from Neil, he provided me with an adaptor for my MG2 so I can use more commonly available plugs. Not sure if the MG5 is same, but check with Neil.

Recent lesson for me on MG2 was to check spark plug cap is the right one. For MG2 with Wico Magnito you need one without a resistor built in, or it makes for a weak spark. Once changed for simple cap, zero resistance, and new fuel, spark and valve timing checked and set after quick valve grind, the MG2 is running fine.

Again Neil will no doubt help with any parts.

Cheers and good luck
    Graeme

vhgmcbuddy

Hi all,

I have a weekend free in a few weeks which I plan to use to see if I van get the crawler running. A spark plug has been obtained and the oil has been ordered.

Given that my fuel pump seems to be knackered can anyone point me in the direction of a new diaphragm, overhaul kit or a known working pump replacement?

Anything else I need to have in stock ready? A friend mentioned about greasing the bendix on the magneto. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

dave
    Participant

Hi James, I have a Ransomes MG5 handbook. If you need a copy
    please contact me and I will get it scanned in and sent to you.
    Dave.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Hi James Neil is your man for a diaphragm.
    The only issue with the TVO manifold may be that straight petrol will vaporise in the manifold before it reaches the cylinder which may cause poor running when hot. On the basis that the side valve engine is pretty inefficient and the tractor has obviously run since the change I would expect that you will have no problems using low grade petrol.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.