Ransomes MG5 – My latest project!

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Ransomes MG5 – My latest project!

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Don’t see how you could measure the voltage of the spark as it happens extremely quickly, quicker than a multimeter would react?

If you’ve replace condenser and points and still suspect the magneto, all that’s left is the coil and the rotor. The rotor rarely gives any trouble so I would put a new coil in it as it sounds like it is breaking down. Does the resistance measure ok? You have basically overhauled it yourself if you do that.

The HT terminal to ground should have a resistance about 5k. If there is no resistance it is most likely no good.
    The center of the side terminal should be insulated. The metal tag is grounded so when metal tag is pushed onto terminal the LT shorts and the magneto stops sparking. You cannot measure the terminals for insulation with the coil, condenser or points connected as they will all give a reading on a test meter.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi all,

Well, I assume my Magneto is knackered. So before I fork out on another one can someone remiond me of the type/spec spark plugs I require as I’ve mislaid the information.

It has to be worth trying a new plug before I replace the Magneto.

James

vhgmcbuddy

Next question. Where would I obtain a new coil?

ransomes256
    Participant

If using the original 18mm plug a Champion 7 or 8 com or a Lodge C8
    If using a more modern 14mm plug and adaptor a Champion N9Y or Motorcraft AG22 or 32
    In all cases do not use a resistor plug or cap as magnetos do not like them.
    I can supply a new coil if you are certain this is what is required or rebuild your mag.
    Neil

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Neil,

I’ll try a new plug first. I’ll send you an email regarding the coil.

Cheers!

James

vhgmcbuddy

This is what I ordered last time.

Can you confirm this is OK before I order?

Ebay Link

vhgmcbuddy

Hi all,

Thanks to Neil, I now have a refurbed Magneto – which I plan to fit this weekend.

Neil identified that the coil was faulty, and was thus replaced.

Fingers crossed this weekend it should fire up first time! 🙂

One question I have is regarding the attachment of the exhaust to the manifold. Can the design really be that bad? Can someone please post a picture of their exhast to manifold fixing for comparison. As I’d like to see if I can sort mine out this weekend.

Hopefully more pictures following the Big Event.

James

ransomes256
    Participant

James,
    The exhaust fitting is a simple design but due to burning can be a poor fit in the barrel. As the engine is hard mounted in the chassis there is no relative movement between the two so the clamp around the pipe to the manifold suffices plus add a little exhaust paste for a good seal.
    Hopefully a photo attached of an original installation.
    Neil

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

I am pleased to report that my MG5 is now working thanks to Neil!

It turns out that the coil on my magneto was fauly (Neil replaced this for me).

With the re-conditioned Mag fitted the crawler is now running! – Thank goodness for that!

Previously my other half had declared her hate for the Crawler.

Now she’s had a go on it, she actually really likes it. 🙂

Just some general tweaking and a slightly leaky exhaust to sort now. Oh and a choke cable!

If anyone has the correct manifold and carb for sale I’d potentially be interested.

Here are a few pictures of it in action.

Regards

James

Attachments:
    expeatfarmer
    Participant

Well done stubborn little beggars when they want to be! No choke cable required.
    Bring it along to Malvern at the end of February.

vhgmcbuddy

Are we talking about the crawler or his other half Jonathan…..

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Being a gentleman I would say that both will be very welcome.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi all,

Crawler had quite a bit of use last year, and now its time for some maintenence.

A few questions.

I currently have the Amal 356 Carb fitted, and am considering going back to the original setup. But first I need to aquire the original manifold. Anyone idea where I might get one? Anyone got a good one for sale?

Secondly. my fuel copper fuel pipe has cracked at the join by the fuel pump with all the vibrations. It’s old, so I’m looking at replacing the whole thing. Can anyone clarify the threads at the fuel tank and pump end? I might order braided hose.

Also, need to replace the rubber/metalstaic coupling soon. Any advice on this job? I understand Neil has these for sale?

James

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.