Ransomes MG5 info

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Ransomes MG5 info

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    eclipseandy
    Participant

Hi All, I have just purchased an MG5 and we are trying to establish its age. There is a lot of work to do to get it running again. Our suspicion is its a late model. The makers plates on the rear are almost completely destroyed by rust and offer little clues. The only thing we can see is the number stamped on the engine block MGE1827, although this may be a part number… Apart from the plates would the serial number be stamped anywhere else on the frame/body ?? Any help or advice greatly appreciated. Many thanks Andy

ransomes256
    Participant

Andy,
    The only true serial number on MG5 would be on the plates. The plates were hand stamped after being fitted to the chassis and in some cases it is possible with careful cleaning to find a faint impression in the chassis. This can be enhanced with chalk or a digital camera changing the contrast results.
    The only other approximate date can be located on the edge of the crown wheels in the form of an etched or forged number in the form of 6-50 which is June 1950 do not confuse with 34/9 which is the number of teeth on crownwheel and pinion.
    This is the date of crown wheel manufacture but would be within months of tractor build.

If you need more detail contact me on njarrett@btinternet.com as I hold the stock of new spares.
    Neil

eclipseandy
    Participant

Thanks Neil, all very helpful… My son has taken the head off over the weekend and we appear to have a crack in the main block, not the best of news. I’m sure we’ll be in touch.. Thanks again Andy

ransomes256
    Participant

Andy,
    Not good news but at least I have a few used but seviceable ones available.
    Drop me an email.
    Neil

trusty-mad
    Participant

MGE 1827 is the individual engine number and dates to some time in 1950. However this may not be the correct date for the machine as the engines were sometimes changed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.