Ransomes mg40 Sachs 600L

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Ransomes mg40 Sachs 600L

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

A new toy arrived this morning from the south of France, it is a ransomes mg40 Sachs diesel.

Looking to find out a bit more about them and who else has one.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Managed to get it running!

Attachments:
    crawler
    Participant

Hello Rocboni
    Very nice MG40, I’ve seen some photos of that type of implement lift posted on some French websites.
    Have you seen my post on here for my MG40 with Sachs engine? I started it on the old forum and then carried on with it here. The Sachs engine on mine is not original but has been fitted at a later date, the engine bay has seen a bit of cutting to make it fit. My engine is green just like your MG, the main body on mine is blue and dates from before Sachs engines were being fitted.
    All the best
    Rob

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi Rob,

Yes, I seen your post mine is a 1961 machine with electric start and glow plug, good job as it takes a bit to get it going, wouldn’t like to be hand cranking it.

(Do you have a picture of the starting handle with measurements, I would like to make one
    Do you have any books on the engine/ crawler you would be willing to copy and send me?

Regarding the choke, what exactly do you do with it, pull it a few times?

Also it doesn’t have much power, can only steer it propery in 1 gear if I try in 3 it just stops, I think the clutch must be slipping, has anyone experienced similar problems?

The serial no is 14222 – 1961 French import (for Dave to add to the survivors list)

Cheers

dave
    Participant

Hi Rob
    Many thanks for the serial no of your MG40 It has been added to my list
    and will be on the next update.
    Dave.

crawler
    Participant

I’ll take some photos and measurements of the starting handle when I’m next at my fathers where I store my machines. It will probably be Friday or Saturday.

I have a PDF of the engine manual, only problem is it is in French. It is over 35 MB in size so I’ll have to check to see if there is any limit to the size of email attachments I can send.

By choke do you mean the knob that I have circled in red on the attached page from the manual?
    If so, first open the throttle about half way and then pull the knob out, with the throttle opened it should stay out and will only go back in when the engine starts. I wish my engine had electric start as it takes quite some effort to pull it up over compression.

I thought the clutch on my MG40 was slipping as well, I think it was in my post on the old forum where I mentioned this. I found just as you describe that if you pulled one of the steering levers in either 2nd or 3rd the crawler would just stop. I didn’t notice this at first as all my driving had been done on loose stones where turning was easy. I pulled the engine and found the clutch to still have plenty of wear left. I have found that you have to open the throttle fairly close to full to be able to turn while in 2nd or 3rd gear. This type of two stroke diesel does seem quite loud when they are running, as this was the first engine of this type that I’ve owned I think at first I was going more by the engine noise and just not opening the throttle enough.
    At the start of this year we used the MG40 to pull out some roots and stumps from an area we were clearing. While chained to a stubborn stump the MG40 was brought to a halt with the tracks still turning thus clearing any worries that I had about the clutch slipping.

Hope that helps
    Rob

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Rob,

The manual you have sounds like the ones on this site, http://www.einachser.org/holder/index.html

Unfortunate I can’t read them.

I have a book coming from Neil on the 600L that he is copying for me.

Engine started A lot better with the knob pulled out,

Need to replace the throttle cable as the throttle has to be a 90 degrees to the steering lever, it is stretched badly, so I may not be a hiving full throttle, I was too scared of over revving the engine, but will give it a try once the cable is replaced.

Thanks

crawler
    Participant

I managed to get the photos and dimensions for the starting handle. The dimensions are in the PDF file, let me know if you have any problems opening it.
    Had a look at the site you linked to above and it looks to be the same manual. I must get in touch with Neil if he has an English version of the manual.
    What are your plans for the Ransomes, restore and repaint or keep it in its working clothes? I opted to keep mine as it is.
    Keep us updated on your progress.
    Rob

franktonpaget
    Participant

What a interesting machine
    Have you tried Google translate to convert your French or German information, I find it quite helpful if I want something translated.

Never seen that plough arrangement before, others I have seen in France had a toolbar fitted all operated with the rear lifting A frame pulley with cable drum on pto
    Was this arrangement fitted by SEDIM the French distributors ? either to suit local requirements or to keep costs down by not fitting hydraulics ?
    I think France was quite protective of its own manufacturers by import duties on foreign equipment at the time
    Look forward to following developments

vhgmcbuddy

Much appreciated Rob, will have a go at making one, although i prefer the electric start!!

I do not plan on restoring this one, although i do plan on repairing it mechanically, the track roller bearings seem worn and theres some track rubbers missing.

The rear lifting arrangement would have been added in France and i believe it was so local implements could be used, however i do not know if it was fitted to the tractor from new or f someone was fed up of the manual lifting frame and fitted this to the back. The tractor would have been ordered without hydraulics, and just the standard PTO.

i have confirmed my suspicion of the clutch slipping, as i was able to put the tractor in gear and rev the engine without any sign of the engine bogging down when both brakes were applied.

vhgmcbuddy

Found this decal after I wiped away some of the grime where the dirty old exhaust has been blowing, re angled the exaust to blow away from the body.

Attachments:
    crawler
    Participant

That’s a nice find. It’s in reasonable condition too.
    I have found my exhaust to be a bit oily when working the MG40, would you notice any oil coming from the exhaust on your machine? I have zero experience with two-stroke diesels and don’t know if this is to be expected.

vhgmcbuddy

Rob,

My exhaust is quite oily, I guess they always will be as oil in mixed with the fuel so it’s unlikly that it will be completely burnt off, however the exhaust fumes aren’t to smokey only when started so it’s running ok.

A previous owner has put a shield on top of the starter motor and solenoid to prevent any oil driving onto it, it has done a very good job.

My silencer really needs cleaned / decarbonised; to clean it the manual says that the it has to be burnt out and all the exhaust components made red hot in a forge or with a welding torch.

Attachments:
    expeatfarmer
    Participant

Rhys
    The button you pull out for starting is the excess fuel button it puts an extra dose of fuel into the system to help starting when cold, very common on most diesel engines. With the engine being a two stroke it will tend to be a bit smokey, once the whole crankcase is hot after running for some time it should get less, but then there may be loads of old oil and crud in the crankcase that has to burn off. there are a number of diesel additives that will help to clean it out. Again burning the carbon out of silencers used to be common on old two stroke motorcycle engines.

crawler
    Participant

Thanks for the info, I think my exhaust would probably benefit from a good clean out. Like your engine my MG40 is not smokey, just noticed the oil.
    Thanks
    Rob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.