Newly acquired Trusty with digger(?) plough

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Newly acquired Trusty with digger(?) plough

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Thank you Steve. I’m very grateful. Just a few minutes ago I sent the attached photo to Westlake. I had seen their Ferguson share and wondered. I also pleased to know the correct name for the plough type. Thanks

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

You may have to modify the Ferguson share slightly. All of the ones that I have fitted tend to point too far to the left, but it’s easily corrected with a slight skim on the inside with a grinder to line it up.
    You can get bolts from most agricultural dealers. They are a standard 3/8″ plough bolt with square/countersunk head (that means the head is a conical shape which incorporates a square shank at the base).

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Geoff. Much appreciated. My efforts to learn to plow have knocked the machine about a bit, but I am getting better. I have the start sorted, indeed it has started from cold with just one pull. I have the tick over very nearly sorted. I am learning the various bits of the plough that need tightening, tweeking ect. My plowing is still very poor.

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

It’s coming along and showing much improvement. The important thing is not to get fed up with it- maybe if you went to a working event so that somebody could show you how to set it up from scratch?
    Sometimes a practical demonstration is far more use than trying to do it from the book of instructions.
    Either way you know that you can always rely on us to help if you need it.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for the encouragement. I don’t think I will get fed up. My prime reason for getting the machine was that I have an interest in a field that needs and cultivating digging. The task of doing that manually was daunting. I was thinking of asking someone to come in and plow it for me. Then I saw the Trusty for sale very close to me. I have always enjoyed getting an old engine going. So, I am in for the long haul. I spent the day recently at the Isle of Wight Memorial Ploughing Match, looked a lot, talked a bit and learnt a) a bit and b) that there is a lot to learn. I have no plans to enter but I definitely want to learn to plow.

I was too unaware/ignorant to notice if my Trusty had a tip on the plough when I got it so I don’t reallt know if I broke it off or not. I think I must have done. Perhaps I should look for a metal detector now I know how chunky a thing it is

Just in case anyone is following the tip saga I attach a picture of the left side of the tipless tip with a measurement to go with the photo above.

Thanks for your interest.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Ferguson point fitted. I have not ground anything off yet. The holes line up now, if I grind off will I need to re drill?

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

I can see that it points to the left. Forgive me being dense Geoff, do you mean grind off the back edge (photo Tip)

or

The inside, unseen side, of the left face (photo Tip side).

Chris

Attachments:
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.