mystery of the Howard Gem rotor clutch solved!

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines mystery of the Howard Gem rotor clutch solved!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Well, Thanks to keith Beasly of Standen Engineering, the mystery of why My new Bonded , rotor clutch disc would not work, has been solved! as indicated by another member Series ! Gem Rotor clutches had no linings at all, and the splined clutch plate (part no G610) operated “Dry” when the “Gem” mark 2 was introduced a new clutch plate (Partno G606) was introduced THAT HAD TWO RECESSES MACHINED on it, so only half the thickness of the new clutch fibre discs(Part no G607) would be in action, I had my original clutch disc bonded and this made the assembly too long, so therefore the whole roture locked up solid, I have now painstakingly chipped off the lovely new bonded linings and will try running it dry, the alternative, would be to machine the recesses in the existing plate or swop it for a later series 2 plate, AH well, at least I know what the problem was!

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Ahhh very interesting my series 2 is the same as this, so at least that answers that question of if I need new linings then!

vhgmcbuddy

It never stops does it? it took me hours to refit the engine single handed, and then I found the Gear box has become so “Notchy” that I cant turn it quick enough to spin the engine fast enough to fire it! also the clutch is slipping, so taken the engine back off and removed the clutch and will have to fit stronger springs, the manual says 30 ft lb of torque, but that would just close the springs , leaving no movement for the clutch to release, also need to find out why I have made the gear box “Notchy” in my restoration! Ah Well.

charlie
    Keymaster

Does the ‘notchiness’ feel like it is as each tooth of a gear engages. Does it feel notchy without the engine attached?

vhgmcbuddy

Sorry for the delay, have been away, YES, the “Notchiness” feels as if gear teeth are almost engaging, and yes it is the same now I have taken the engine off, I thought at first it was something to do with the jackshaft selector, but I have taken that off and still no joy, I have tried moving all the gear selectors, and that does not help, I cant think what I have done, as I did not open the gearbox during the restoration, unless I have done something to the clutch shaft.?

charlie
    Keymaster

Sounds as if gears are tightly meshed somewhere. Is it notchy in neutral or in any particular or all gears? Could it be drive to rotors causing problem?

vhgmcbuddy

I will get back to you Charlie when I can get down the barn and check the gear lever in drive, I will have to take the wheels off to try it, or raise them off the ground, so far I have only tried it in neutral.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.