Simar 56A Rototiller – Serial No. 561473

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Simar 56A Rototiller – Serial No. 561473

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    aquila787
    Participant

Hi everyone

Just bought an old Simar 56 A. Serial number is 561473. Taking it apart at the moment. Last owner must have had an underperforming engine. Head gasket was damaged and leaking slightly. Where can I buy gaskets for this model. I want to do a full restoration if possible.

What make and model of engine is in it.

John

aquila787
    Participant

Hello

Picture of mine

John

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

John,
    Machine serial number 561473 was delivered on 29/12/53 to AF & HV Williams, Piccadilly Nursery, Lacock, Chippenham, Wiltshire
    The model 56 was built in the UK from 1948 by Geo Monro of Waltham Cross under licence from SIMAR, Geneva, Switerland. Unfortunately I do not know what make of engine they used.
    You will find the nuts and bolts are metric, most UK built machines of this age would have used BSF and Whitworth threads.
    I have sent you a personal message with my email address, (to view personal messages, log in then click on your user name and you will see messages tab) I can supply copies of owners manual and parts list.
    Most of the original engineering drawings are held at the Museum of English Rural Life (MERL), Reading.
    There is a very good French website with information about all SIMAR models, the page for the 56 is at http://motoculteur-simar.fr/pages%20des%20machines/56a.html

aquila787
    Participant

Hello

Thanks for that Charlie. I need info on the engine in this model. Think mine may be seized as when I took off the head there was a small piece of what looked like a broken ring on top of the cylinder. Is it a Jap engine. Anyone selling or making the springs in the picture. Where can I get gaskets for the engine and body?

Regards

John

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

As I said I do not know make of engine but do know it is not JAP, Villiers etc, it could be SIMAR own design.
    It is not uncommon for these engines to be seized due to water ingress down the exhaust pipe.
    Cox & Turner Engineering can supply or make piston rings. They may also be able to help with identifying a gasket supplier or someone that can make them, which is the more likely solution.

aquila787
    Participant

Hello again

Does anyone have any suggestions for removal of the flywheel from the 56. I have the nut removed.

John

charlie
    Keymaster

John, the flywheel is on a tapered shaft and can be extremely tight, probably never been off since assembled. I made up a puller to fit the holes in starting flange. I also applied heat to centre of flywheel whilst applying tension with the puller, also a good soaking with penetrating oil eg Plus Gas (not WD40). On my model 35 I ended up giving the flywheel a good whack with a soft hammer and the shock got it off. In fact it released with such a bang I thought I had broken it.

aquila787
    Participant

I tried most of that. The starting ring started to break so I stopped before it disintegrated. Thinking now if I drilled two holes in the flywheel big enough for the pullers to go through to the back of the flywheel might do the job. I’m using wd40.

John

charlie
    Keymaster

Standard WD40 is not a good penetrating oil, which is why I use PlusGas.

aquila787
    Participant

Charlie

I’ll see can I get the plus gas

john-e-w
    Participant

I have found that Diesel makes a good perpetrating oil.

John E-W

aquila787
    Participant

I bought a can of owatrol oil yesterday. Supposed to be good. I’ll try it and see.

John

aquila787
    Participant

Got the flywheel off after a lot of drilling and grinding and heating. It shot off like a rocket when I hit it with a hammer. Flew about 2 feet. Luckily I wasn’t standing in front of it.

John

Attachments:
    john-e-w
    Participant

Well done John.
    It looks like there is a Woodruf key on the shaft which is good engineering and it’s a pity that Villiers didn’t use them as it would have made setting the timing a lot easier. When you reassemble the flywheel it can be easier if you “rock” the key so that the leading end is lower than the trailing end. Just make sure that it is all lined up with the cutout on the flywheel and as you tighten the nut it should “rock” back into position so that it is parallel with the shaft.

John E-W

charlie
    Keymaster

Glad to know you managed to get the flywheel off.
    Removing the flywheel on the Simar does not affect the timing luckily. I do have the instructions for setting timing if needed. If you look carefully at the front face of the flywheel there should be a mark for TDC which lines up with the raised mark on the housing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.