Monro tiller

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    john-e-w
    Participant

Now I have the rotovator up and running, the only problem I have is when I stop it after 45-50mins work and it’s nice and warm. It stops OK but in doing so it backfires quite alarmingly. Does that mean that it is too far advanced or too far retarded. I must say I’m not a fan of adjusting the timing by the placement of the flywheel on the tapered shaft – why on earth didn’t they fix the flywheel and timing with a key-way?

Any advice welcomed
    John

charlie
    Keymaster

It could well be. When I set the timing on these engines I remove the cylinder head so I can measure the distance from TDC accurately. To find point at which contacts open I have invested in a magneto timing light, but before buying that I used a very thin piece of paper between the points to determine when they just start to open. When tightening the flywheel nut I check the timing to make sure the flywheel has not moved. Finally to make sure the flywheel nut is tight I give the spanner a good hard whack with a hammer, fortunately I have the correct flogging/slogging spanner which is designed to be hit with a hammer.
    Is the points gap correct? Check this first as it the easiest.
    Are the valves set correctly and are the valve seats and faces in good order, no pits or burning?

john-e-w
    Participant

Good day all
    Timing all fine now, tweaked it very slightly. The only problem is that it’s impossible to check the points with the brass cover on the points housing with the flywheel fitted – unless there is a crafty way of removing/replacing it that I haven’t discovered – any ideas??

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.