Just signed up to trial, hello

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Just signed up to trial, hello

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hello. My names Darren, and im near Peterborough. I’ve always been interested by the vintage machines at shows. Dont know why, they just seem to catch my eye. I’ve now decided it would be nice to get one of my own, with the intention of being able to join others and have the chance to show – something that all the family can be part of.

I quite like the idea of a ride on, and have had my eye on a Ransomes mg2 and a Wrigleys truck, but three things I don’t have are lots of space, lots of money, or a trailer.

I’m also hoping to get something that initially only needs a small amount of work, if any, to get running. As mentioned, I’m new to this, so don’t want to jump in too deep and get stuck.

I’m going to continue looking, but am also open to starting smaller ( and lighter ) and build up to a ride on.

Looking forward in making good use of the trial and reading lots. Chances are I’ll be a fully paid up member shortly, and hopefully I’ll find something that fits, and get to meet,chat, and display with some of you in the near future.

trusty220
    Keymaster

Glad to have you on board, even if it’s only temporary at present. If you are around the Peterborough area you may want to consider visiting the Holbeach Rally on 20th and 21st June. The club normally has some sort of presence there and you could have a chat with some of us- look out for Steve Woollas, he’s our shopkeeper and his picture is one the news section if you want to know what he looks like.

charlie
    Keymaster

Welcome, a lot of us start with something small, but be warned this hobby is very addictive and before you know it you will have a shed or two full. Transport can be an issue but it is surprising what can be fitted in with a bit of ingenuity and a set of spanners. Good luck in your search. Full membership includes The Cultivator magazine which has a Sale and Wanted section.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately I’m busy 20th/21st otherwise I’d have popped along.
    I’ve recently cleared out the shed, be good to start filling it again.

vhgmcbuddy

I’ve now decided that due to space, money, ability and other projects, that starting with a ride on may not be the best approach. Vintage horticultural and garden is still an interest though, so I’m going to start simple – hand held tools. I remember being a child and seeing all sorts in my Dads garage, lots of which came from my Grandad ( I’ll have to see if he still has any interesting bits when I’m round there next 🙂 )

And recently received the welcome pack ( figured it was worth being a paid up member ) with letter, magazines,sticker and membership cards, so thanks for that.

trusty220
    Keymaster

Glad to have you on board, Darren, and I hope we live up to your expectations. The club stand that we put on every year at Newark in November always features hand tools as it is a very overlooked part of our hobby.
    There is a wealth of hand tools to be picked up for very little money and so it is a very good place to start your collecting; you may want to be selective and only collect certain things otherwise you may find that you get over-run very quickly!
    Various themes that members have used are tools from a certain manufacturer, or different designs of spade or fork- the possibilities are endless.
    Good luck with your collecting.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.