Is it worth doing up a wolseley webb wizard rotovator

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Is it worth doing up a wolseley webb wizard rotovator

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    sidevalve44
    Participant

If you need to buy a new coil it will have the magnetron device included so, don’t waste your money on new points etc !

Last time I looked, a new coil was about £38.00.

sidevalve44
    Participant

I’ve just checked my B&S repair manual and it states the flywheel tightening torque is 55ftlbs (75Nm)

vhgmcbuddy

Thank you for the torque setting. If I buy a new coil would someone have a link to what I would need as I don’t have a clue. These are the two I have found Magnetron Kit 394970 or 591420 (was 793281) Ignition Armature.

sidevalve44
    Participant

If your existing coil is OK, then the magnetron kit (which comes with complete instructions). If the coil is kaput, then the new coil (591420). In either case you can disregard the points completely. However, given that the coil is only £13.00 dearer than the magnetron, I would be tempted to buy a new coil.

You will still need the engine cut-out wire though. (unless you enjoy pulling the pulling the plug cap off an engine whilst it’s running of course!!)

If you can get your hands on the B&S Repairman’s Manual for engines 1919 – 1981, it’s a worthwhile investment. Briggsbits sell it in paper copy or, you can usually pick up a CD Rom version on-line for a few pounds. That will (should) tell you everything you need to know.

vhgmcbuddy

I’ve decided to buy the new coil (591420) but why does it have two wires. Does the Repairman’s Manual for engines have the torque settings needed for the engine.

sidevalve44
    Participant

Hi, one of them is most likely the engine cut-out wire, the other one is the earth wire.

The Repairman’s Manual has the torque settings, although apart from the flywheel nut, I wouldn’t normally worry too much.

vhgmcbuddy

You can download the B & S Repairman’s Manual for out of production engines from http://www.uni-power.co.uk/pdf/wsm/briggs/CE8069%20Repairmans%20Handbook%201919%201981.pdf

wristpin
    Participant

Many mower repairers will have a pile of magnetron coils from scrap engines and one shouldn’t cost you more than a new set of points. Just take your coil with you as there are some small differences in the width between the fixing screws.

sidevalve44
    Participant

Where do you live, are you anywhere near Swindon.

My old Wizard engine (minus carb,fuel tank & exhaust; borrowed for another machine) is lying idle in my shed. Is in working order (smokes a bit) but has a working coil c/w with magnetron unit. Would you be interested ?

vhgmcbuddy

I live in wales so a bit far but thank you for the offer. I bought a new electronic ignition armature magneto coil but I got to wait until Monday to pick it up from the sorting office. Would you have the crankshaft pulley for the drive belt.

sidevalve44
    Participant

I do have the pulleyt but, it’s hopelessly rusted onto the crank. However, they are available from Merrytiller.co.uk. Pt No. MT777/1 cost £23.00.

wristpin
    Participant

As you have bought a new coil its a bit late for this but you may find it of interest.
    http://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu/en/support/faqs/ignition-system-theory-and-testing

When fitting the new coil just remember to set the air gap correctly!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.