Howard gem jap600cc

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Howard gem jap600cc

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    uru33
    Participant

Hi, I’m from Uruguay and new to the forum since a few days ago I bought a Howard gem rotator with a jap 600 motor about which I had no information and that is why I ended up discovering this website. I am almost certain that this device must be one of the few that exists in my country, it is almost original with some adaptation since there are no spare parts. My question is if a plow can be adapted to this model without removing the rotator. Thanks

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    As far as I know a plough was not available for the Howard Gem.
    Looking at your photographs I can see it has been modified with a battery and ignition coil, presumably because the magneto has failed. Parts for these are available in the UK.

uru33
    Participant

Thank you very much for answering, if you have modifications it is also missing the magnet chain cover which is not the original either. Here in my country it is very expensive to be able to bring spare parts from abroad, so the idea, since it works, is to use it like that. I thought a plow could somehow be adapted to use in my garden. Is it very difficult to remove the rotovator?

Attachments:
    john-e-w
    Participant

Hi uru33 – I had a twin cylinder Howard Gem and I manufactured a double plough(ridger) for my potatoes. I fitted it in place of the depth foot and used the tillers to soften the soil and help drive the equipment forward. I have very heavy clay based soil, so every little bit of forward motion helps. Unfortunately I sold the rotovator a couple of years ago and gave the buyer the ridger, so I am unable to take a photo of it. It was a bit tricky using it as it did stick out at the back a bit and my feet kept on tripping over the ridger, especially when I had to turn round at the end of the row to go back the other way! You may be able to manufacture half a ridger to act as a plough.

Best of luck
    John E-W

uru33
    Participant

Thank you very much John, more or less that was the idea I had. Buy an old plow and try to adapt it but as you say the problem is that it remains almost on the feet. Here the terrain is not very hard but there is a drought, on the contrary, in the tests I did, what happens is that the wheels are skidding. I hope you understand what I write by using the translator since unfortunately my English is very basic. He left some photos of the idea and what suits him.

Attachments:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.